I confess that I do not fully understand these metaphysical discussions and concepts, but I nevertheless have been trying to achieve a transcendent level of conciousness for a few weeks. My first step was to successfully enter what I suppose was a trance: I was counting my breathing until at last I lost track of my breaths, which thereupon grew noticeably deeper and heavier. Then, much to my surprise, I began to REM while conscious, and I felt a tightening of the muscles at the base of my spine. This went on for some time as I simply watched the REM, thinking perhaps that something else might happen. First discovering that my REM patterns were following a sort of pattern which I was able to predict, I at last came to the realization that I was in control of the REM. I must have formed a new neural connection, because now I can voluntarily initate REM, even while fully awake.

I experimented some more with trance, which I was able to enter with greater ease subsequently. Nothing else interesting took place until Sunday, when I retired to a mountaintop and laid upon a large rock along a north-south axis, my limbs spread out roughly like the Vitruvian man. It was late afternoon, and a crisp moon rose on my left hand while the sun set to my right. The wind enveloped me constantly, and thus my tactile senses were continually stimulated. After a long period of trance, throughout which time I felt faint tickles of energy through my limbs, vertiginous sensations developed in my left leg. This spread upwards, until at last my entire body was shaking violently. I did not know if this was a precursor to an OBE exit, and thus I allowed it to continue on, merely watching as I had my REM. Yet, also like my REM, I realized that I was in ultimate control of which muscles were twitching. This went on for some time, until at last I opened my eyes and stood up, an undeniable pulse of energy tickling throughout my entire body, and my hands especially. This was very exciting, as none of Robert Bruce's NEW exercises had caused any feeling in me until then.

Nevertheless, the energy fizzled and now I do not know how that strange experience happened, or how to make it happen again. Also, what relation did this have to my ultimate goal of achieving a transcendent conciousness? I personally know only one other person who has traveled astrally, but his methods are so very esoteric that I cannot understand them. I suppose the idea of "moving my awareness" does not fully make sense to me. Any help along these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!