Hello, dreamosis.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamosis
Almost three years ago he stopped seeing deceased spirits. He was in a bad relationship, which involved a Neg attachment to his girlfriend, and when it ended, he got hugely depressed and tried to kill himself. About that time, his ability to see spirits or sense others' energy -- which had been with him since we were kids -- stopped more or less cold.
Maybe he just saw the negative energy inherent in the relationship, but did not want to place the responsibility in either his or her actions.

He had never been one to meditate or pray (or exercise or eat well, etc.) For a while he tried to do those things and hoped to be able to see spirits again. Without his spiritual senses, after a lifetime of them being naturally there, he got severe anxiety attacks. He couldn't sit through a movie in public or go to a party. He's always been somewhat antisocial, but he became severely so.
There are people who need to know the other side is there. It suggests meaning, going on after death, and many other things they remember within from the other side without being able to articulate it.

But getting cut off, or cutting yourself off through damaging beliefs or holding on to a hurt can show you how much you needed that was not appreciated while there. If you have a pattern of blame towards hurt, you will automatically assign blame to anything that hurts you, no matter where the real responsibility lies. This is one way people cut themselves off from the soul or God. They chose a way of blame and run from the very things they need for healing. Kind of like "existential hate." Hating existence itself. But the only one ruining his life and perpetuating the hurt in this scenario is that person himself.

After giving up on meditating, etc., he turned to atheist material, got consumed with it, and now is a total denier of everything he experienced. He has a hard time being around me because I "believe in woo" and I'm a reminder to him of his previous life.
Well, he's in pain because of what he is denying himself. He chose the thinking mind over the soul, and this resistance causes existential pain. But being invested in a certain world view can also cause pain if it is endangered. So, hurt by hurt he's painting himself into a corner. The most rewarding connection there is, the one to the soul, he's deliberately cutting off in order to maintain a world view and belief system.

At the same time there are unconscious misgivings towards his soul, which he tries to "talk out of existence." It's a bit like "If there would be a God he wouldn't allow this to happen to me." He's unconsciously blaming the hurt he lived through on his soul and now tries to go the path of mental will instead. That is in itself deeply unsatisfying, and he can possibly feel the disceprancy whenever he encounters someone who doesn't share this attitude and fares better with his or her own soul.

But bringing us back to the topic: I have found with myself a tendency to cut off OBEs-while-awake from my worldview. Lately I've noticed an unconscious bias toward believing I can only have certain experiences while I'm deeply relaxed and entranced. I've maintained this bias contrary to experience too! I've had plenty of powerful, informative, weird, and uplifting experiences while perfectly awake, but for some reason I continue to believe that I need deep relaxation and trance to really open up. Make sense?
Yes, you do. Deep trance and relaxation are actually extremely beneficial for you, regardless of anything else. But there may be some worldview investment, too. Maybe you've even read too much about OBE to trust your own judgement, even though you have valid and beneficial experiences and your own judgement to trust in.

Experience is where it's at. Expectation is the killer of experience. How many people go through their life limiting themselves with having too much expectations of what is possible. They "know" better. I don't think we know a lot, actually. Embrace your experience. It's valid and it's the real thing.

Take care,
Oliver