Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beliefs, and spirituality

Beliefs, and spirituality

i didn't know where to put this exactly, so i figured i'd put it here.

So, i grew up in a house hold with no belief system, be it christian, catholic, etc. nor was it athiest or agnostic. i've come to consider myself more along the lines of agnostic leaning towards buddhism and the like. with no belief system ingrained in me, i followed the path that seemed most natural and intuitive to me, and developed spiritually before ever hitting my teenage years. in my exploration, i have not ran into nearly as many "blocks" as most people i know who have had a traditional religion instilled in them.

My question: Is it generally easier for people who do not have a belief system to develop spiritually, because they don't have to bypass those beliefs, or is it a matter of will and having a sense of there being something deeper?
    I am really curious to hear from those of you that come from either side, religious, and no belief system.
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
    It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -Buddha

Blog Entries

Re: Beliefs, and spirituality

I come from a family who jumped between belief systems but didn't actually follow a religion- in my young years I felt the need for spiritual things and first embraced religion until it clashed with my intuitive ideas about what it was 'all about', so I kept searching and finally found a niche where my ideas 'fit in'- so I know my experience is not typical of someone who grows up under 'one' religion and only that one, and finds themselves embracing something different- but I can say that my religious upbringing didn't get in the way of my spiritual development, it just gave it a starting point from which to develop.
    AD Pedia:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/sho...abetical-Order
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php

"Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    in my young years I felt the need for spiritual things and first embraced religion until it clashed with my intuitive ideas about what it was 'all about', so I kept searching
    Me, too. Though I was raised in pretty much one religion (mainstream, moderate Protestant Christianity).

my experience is not typical of someone who grows up under 'one' religion and only that one
    Well, then I'm as atypical as you are. (But we knew that )

I can say that my religious upbringing didn't get in the way of my spiritual development, it just gave it a starting point from which to develop.
    I've had a few more things to overcome with that, but most of them were actually not things I learned or picked up in church, but from my mother, who has weird and stupid ideas about pretty much everything, God included. I've never really felt that having the religious background I did has hindered me, especially. In fact, it gave a sort of reference framework, a "box" outside of which I could start to look.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

Hello, baalixan.

Quote Originally Posted by baalixan
    My question: Is it generally easier for people who do not have a belief system to develop spiritually, because they don't have to bypass those beliefs, or is it a matter of will and having a sense of there being something deeper?
    I am really curious to hear from those of you that come from either side, religious, and no belief system.
    We never were really religious at home, a lot of Germans aren't.

For some reason I never took Christian beliefs very seriously, even though I had to take Religious Education in school, attended a Catholic grammar school and also attended a half year of religious education at my Lutheran church.

But I would not at all say it is "a matter of will." I'd say it's a matter of intuition - will you heed what you believe inwardly to be true, even without being necessarily able to spell it out, or will you heed what society, family and peers will tell you is true?

It's a challenge, and there are many variations on the challenge, and you probably encounter it differently in every lifetime. You may find yourself inwardly opposed to the religion you are born into, or you might not have one and find yourself drawn and guided by intuition. Feelings of aversion can be a powerful defining guide, as can be feelings of attraction.

Cheers,
    Oliver
    Looking for assistance in sorting things out in your life? My intuitive friend Robyn can help. http://intuitivebalance.weebly.com/

My blog: http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/blog.php?1595-Korpo

Blog Entries

I like what Korpo just said, but let me say that I came by my sense of spirituality by an exclusionary process. This is not god, this is not god, this is not god - unitl I finally looked for the god within. There, I found God.

My parents were social church-goers but had no real beliefs. I went to a parochial school when I was young, went to mass everymorning, but it didn't or ever persuade me into the religion of the Great White God who punishes and rewards.

It IS a sense of intuition, an inner voice that says you're on the right path - or not. It has been my path, and singularly in my family, to take the path (road) less travelled. I suppose I echo the sentiments of many members here.
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baalixan
    So, i grew up in a house hold with no belief system, be it christian, catholic, etc. nor was it athiest or agnostic.
    You might think you did but really we're all affected by the predominant religious beliefs of our culture to some extent.

i have not ran into nearly as many "blocks" as most people i know who have had a traditional religion instilled in them.
    This may just be your perception. I was raised practising Catholic and I don't believe I've run into a huge number of blocks. It may be that having to overcome certain beliefs slows things down but this may be more about whom you're judging this by. I also believe that sometimes the New Age beliefs people replace their traditional religious beliefs with can also represent impediments to growth. Maybe, too, being the first there isn't all that important.

Anyway, this brings me to my question: what do you define as spiritual growth? Are you talking about psychic faculties or being a person of good intent or both?
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

by spiritual growth, i mean in all areas, from energy work, spiritual exploration(obe or AP) both external of yourself, and your own inner self, capacity for kindness, seeing from anothers eyes(empathy), understanding, and wisdom/knowledge(which ever one seeks or both). so yeah, basicly control over ones self and abilities, as well as there understanding of "what is" on all levels.

EDIT: also, by blocks i do mean beliefs that had to be suppressed in order to accept the experiences as genuine and move further. i haven't ran into many other than getting past the idea that there is more than the physical, which most do. I've also always been very open minded, and i've believed in something more(with out judgement of what it is) since i can remember, with out being taught neccisarily to believe there was more. i'm sure my views have picked up tint from those around me, but more or less, my beliefs have been formed thru experience with this subject matter.

to me, religion is a way of classifying "what is" that u are forced to believe, or fits you best, and no religion is wrong or right entirely, but is simply a group of peoples understanding of "what is". i believe all and i believe none, if that makes sense. "what is" being god, nature, energy, or what ever people see it as...so, "what is"
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
    It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." -Buddha

Blog Entries

by spiritual growth, i mean in all areas, from energy work, spiritual exploration(obe or AP) both external of yourself, and your own inner self, capacity for kindness, seeing from anothers eyes(empathy), understanding, and wisdom/knowledge(which ever one seeks or both). so yeah, basicly control over ones self and abilities, as well as there understanding of "what is" on all levels.
    Ah, we differ there. I see spiritual growth as a movement towards love, whether or not a person has great psychic powers.

I feel you can develop psychic abilities without growing spiritually. You may gain knowledge and power but how you choose to use it and the underlining motivations for those choices is, to my way of thinking, what determines spirituality.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

that is why i was kind of hesitant to mention specific things. I think it should be all of the obove, with no single practice overlooked, or overdone on the quest for something higher. My major belief is simply balance, and equality. a person great with 1 skill exceeds all others in said skill, where as a person who practices all can compete with any. with most practices being benificial to other practices, i'd say the one that has trained in all is more advanced than the one that has 1 thing down to a science. Basicly, with out balance in heart, soul, body, life and relationships(its even how matter/energy reacts to itself, trying to balance opposing forces), love does not always take so easily. and ultimately, for me atleast, spiritual advancement is a quest for knowledge/wisdom, love, and of course balance. just my thoughts of it tho

Blog Entries

I agree with Beekeeper, and I don't consider 'psychic aptitude' a sign of spiritual growth, because psychic development is a physical thing while spiritual growth is the movement away from physical things.
    I agree that the way towards growth in general involves balance, but balance is something we do, not something we are, and in my worldview spiritual growth is a movement towards understanding what we are, and what we do is a side effect of what we are.
    Not sure if I expressed this correctly- I had a rough weekend and haven't had my coffee yet.

But to re-answer the question on these terms, the religions I focused on when younger didn't limit my exploration, if anything they gave me a starting point towards defining my goals, and of course, I'm on the way to achieving them, since it's a lifelong process.
    AD Pedia:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/sho...abetical-Order
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php

"Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast