Poofball (I smiled at your name, btw) as stated before, it's very possible you're projecting and not realising.

Maybe another method will get you there. Try sleeping for 41/2 hours before you try an exit technique. I don't use anything to wake me up; I just make the suggestion I'll wake up automatically in 41/2 or so hours and usually do unless I'm exhausted. This technique works even if you wake up too soon, you just might not get as long a projection.

Upon awakening (and this is the hard bit) resist the urge to move your physical body. If you recall a dream, try to mentally recreate it. You may phase back into it, remaining lucid, which is an astral projection in the dream zone.

If you definitely want to feel yourself "leave" your body, you can try returning from dream to body and attempt an exit technique from there but you'll probably find it easier to remain in the lucid dream.

If you can't recall a dream, remain still anyway. Eventually, your body will react as if you're asleep and a new dream will begin that you can enter consciously just by letting it happen. Sometimes you'll lose consciousness briefly but regain it when active in the dream.

Alternately, don't move your physical body but do body loosening techniques. When you feel the flutter of astral limbs, it's time to try an exit technique.