Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
Ultimately, what does it matter? If soul extinguishes when all is said and done (and I personally believe it doesn't) there's no consciousness left to mourn it.
EXACTLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
You know, I suspect there are many people who actually fear the ongoing existence of the soul.
I've known at least one person who appear to feel that way. I don't think he would use the word "fear" to describe it, but he was adamant that, essentially, there couldn't be anything after death and when really quizzed on it, he admitted that he, personally, did not WANT there to be anything after death. He wanted to die, and that be the end of it, and the very thought of having to "go" somewhere or "do" more stuff really upset him, so he just resisted it and justified his "knowledge" (i.e., belief) that death is the end.

I'm sure he can't be the only one, though he's the only one I personally know (I know a lot of people who disbelieve in "life after death" or however you want to term it, but I've never known someone who was so clearly afraid of the idea).