Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: soul is not immortal????

Blog Entries

Re: soul is not immortal????

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
    Ultimately, what does it matter? If soul extinguishes when all is said and done (and I personally believe it doesn't) there's no consciousness left to mourn it.
    EXACTLY!!!

You know, I suspect there are many people who actually fear the ongoing existence of the soul.
    I've known at least one person who appear to feel that way. I don't think he would use the word "fear" to describe it, but he was adamant that, essentially, there couldn't be anything after death and when really quizzed on it, he admitted that he, personally, did not WANT there to be anything after death. He wanted to die, and that be the end of it, and the very thought of having to "go" somewhere or "do" more stuff really upset him, so he just resisted it and justified his "knowledge" (i.e., belief) that death is the end.

I'm sure he can't be the only one, though he's the only one I personally know (I know a lot of people who disbelieve in "life after death" or however you want to term it, but I've never known someone who was so clearly afraid of the idea).
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

I'm not trying to get in on this conversation. Heck no, but I ran across this quote reading some old books. I liked it, it seems relevant so here 'tis:

It must be so - Plato, thou reasonest well! -
    Else whence this pleasing hope, this fond desire,
    This longing after immortality?
    Or whence this secret dread, and inward horror
    Of falling into nought? Why shrinks the soul
    Back on herself, and startles at destruction?
    'Tis the divinity that stirs within us;
    'Tis heaven itself, that points out an hereafter,
    And intimates eternity to man.

-English author Addison speaking for Roman Cato.

Pretty nice I think if you're in the right mood
    Matter is only mind in an opaque condition; and all beauty is but a symbol of spirit.
    - E Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by CaterpillarWoman
    You know, I suspect there are many people who actually fear the ongoing existence of the soul.
    I've known at least one person who appear to feel that way. I don't think he would use the word "fear" to describe it, but he was adamant that, essentially, there couldn't be anything after death and when really quizzed on it, he admitted that he, personally, did not WANT there to be anything after death. He wanted to die, and that be the end of it, and the very thought of having to "go" somewhere or "do" more stuff really upset him, so he just resisted it and justified his "knowledge" (i.e., belief) that death is the end.
    Yes, many atheists think exactly that way. As I reported already lately, I had been to an Atheist's forum up to a while ago into discussions there. There are many people who are not just 'agnostic' ('let's-see-what-happens-or-if-sth-happens-at-all'-stance) but are rather outright adamant with this attitude you describe about this one person.
    They not only disbelieve in an afterlife but they absolutely don't want it. For them, life is a lot about suffering and they are "happy" that then everything ends, including the(ir) suffering. They are at peace with it. If you ask them how can they 'live with that perspective' all you get is just a kind of stoic 'get-over-it'-response.
    This collector of useless clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeoneblack
    I'm not trying to get in on this conversation. Heck no, but I ran across this quote reading some old books. I liked it, it seems relevant so here 'tis:

It must be so - Plato, thou reasonest well! -
    Else whence this pleasing hope, this fond desire,
    This longing after immortality?
    Or whence this secret dread, and inward horror
    Of falling into nought? Why shrinks the soul
    Back on herself, and startles at destruction?
    'Tis the divinity that stirs within us;
    'Tis heaven itself, that points out an hereafter,
    And intimates eternity to man.

-English author Addison speaking for Roman Cato.

Pretty nice I think if you're in the right mood
    i must be in the right mood , ditto - pretty nice, nailed it

as simple as it gets. an example of why i feel that from having peaked we've (humanity) been on a down run that increasingly gets steeper and faster, since year 1 and year 1 collided. speculatory of course

gandhi was asked what he thought about western civilization, his reply was that he thought it would be a good idea, as in yeah this "idea" should actually be implemented asap without further delay. an astute observation based upon undeniable historical global evidence

ever watch Wall-E, when the ship loses it's equilibrium, tilts, and all the animated folks roll into a heaps of immovability. funny stuff, but has little to do with it i guess. metaphoric genius
    I Don't Ever Give Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpTyT1Wj_I

"I'm no fighter, but I'm fighting, this whole world seems uninviting..."

Making Love Out of Nothing @ ALL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyFsyC4LqK4

Az for Me, of my Self, I am Home

Blog Entries

I get what you're saying Tim, (or at least I think I do- I get what I get, if you get my drift) and I am not stating adamantly that for sure and without speculation that the soul is either immortal or eternal (and I am very clear on the difference and the inference) but what I'm trying to say is that-

To categorically state that there is a soul and that it is immortal first you have to believe and clarify that there is a soul and that it is 'you' or some similar all-encompassing part of you.

Then you have to ask- is my soul my earthly perceptions or is my soul some sort of transcendent entity that is also 'me'? And then, I ask you, what is the purpose of having a soul that is transcendent (that is, that consists of more than your ego, your id, your experiences, and whatever you've learned- your perceptions?) If all of this dies with you, then what is the purpose of surviving the loss of your body and temporal existence if you are eventually going to stop existing altogether?

It seems like a big waste of energy, or information, and from what I gather, the universe doesn't appear to be wasteful- and dare I use the 'God' Word- why would God go through all the trouble of devising a system so rich only to do ultimately nothing with it?

This is why I think, that even though I don't know ultimately if there even is a soul, it seems to me that it would at least be immortal, if not eternal. If not, then there must not be a soul, because IMO transcendence is part of the definition.

Now, what I say to the OP is this- why would someone go to the trouble of preaching that the soul can be destroyed 'if you don't toe the line?' sounds like the motive is suspect, at least to me.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Soul is annihilated in Christianity if you don't accept Jesus.

Mathew 10:28

Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    Which shows what?
    soul is not immortal in Christianity, regardless of what most people think

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enochian
    Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    Which shows what?
    soul is not immortal in Christianity, regardless of what most people think
    But what do you believe?

That religious belief is to make one feel that one's "soul" is immortal as a comforting feature.

If you accept Jesus you become immortal

Eastern religions similarly have reincarnation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enochian
    That religious belief is to make one feel that one's "soul" is immortal as a comforting feature.

If you accept Jesus you become immortal

Eastern religions similarly have reincarnation
    Fantastic. Do you believe in the soul, as advertised, or do you have a different viewpoint?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3