Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Please report any/all forum weirdness so we can fix it!

Blog Entries

Post-editing... and character limits

Regarding the post-editing, how about permitting post-editing completely but adding on the forum rules that members should avoid deleting completely their posts for the reasons mentionned by CW?

If someone wants to retract his or her words, then the best (and most humble) way would be to say so and why without removing the original post's content, either in another post or by adding a few words at the end of the original post content.

If ever a member does go too far on post-editing, then a moderator could notify him or her, as per forum rules... This way it wouldn't feel restricting for other members.

Also, I've been wondering if it was possible to extend the... 10 000 character's limit on a post...? I had to split my last lenghty post in two because it was, well, 'sligtly' over the limit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by poème View Post
    Regarding the post-editing, how about permitting post-editing completely but adding on the forum rules that members should avoid deleting completely their posts for the reasons mentionned by CW?
    Have tried that.

If someone wants to retract his or her words, then the best (and most humble) way would be to say so and why without removing the original post's content, either in another post or by adding a few words at the end of the original post content.

If ever a member does go too far on post-editing, then a moderator could notify him or her, as per forum rules... This way it wouldn't feel restricting for other members.
    Well, limiting the ability to edit posts is pretty standard on most discussion boards. The usual is 24 hours, but I used to be a member at one where you could edit until someone else followed up to the thread (not an option on this board, but an interesting twist, I thought).

There might be a a way to put people in a special "no edit" group, but I haven't investigated it fully, yet. Too much other stuff on my plate just now (but I will look into it).

I've been wondering if it was possible to extend the... 10 000 character's limit on a post...?
    [EDIT] Yes, I found it while fixing something else. It's been increased now. We'll see how it goes (I doubt people are suddenly going to start posting super long posts just because they can )

I had to split my last lenghty post in two because it was, well, 'sligtly' over the limit
    Changing that would probably not present an issue. I doubt we'd get a big rash of people suddenly posting enormous things just because they can.
    Last edited by ButterflyWoman; 13th June 2011 at 11:57 PM.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psionickx View Post
    when i use the "reply to thread" button there is no

"qouting" option.( i mean to quote several people in one post , not just one by "reply using quote" button)
    You need to go to the post you want to quote and click the "Reply with Quote" button.

"Highlighting or italicizing option.Isn't available so is color and all that.
    Yes it is. You need to go to your settings and choose the WYSIWYG editor. It's in a thread, right here in this very forum, stickied at the top. Here's a link: http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/sho...WYSIWYG-Editor

"Icons" appear on the sujbect header and not the posts interior content itself.
    WYSIWIG editor. See above.

I see other people using emoticons either they are imported off-site or not appearing in my reply abilities.
    Read the smileys thread. See above.

"Editing" and the features missing above cant be done BEFORE you shoot your post into a thread.You wait 12 hrs and THEN get the ability to edit it? HUNH?
    Uhm... what? It's supposed to allow you to edit for 12 hours and then take away that ability.

was the wait-12hr-before-edit a decision of the admin or a consensual opinion of all the moderators themselves?
    Oh, for pity's sake. It was just something that got set while learning the back end of the board.

Believe it or not, none of this stuff is to vex you, and believe it or not, all the mods are VOLUNTEERS who have lives. We're doing the best we can under some less than ideal circumstances.

So, maybe, cut some slack, yeah?
    Last edited by ButterflyWoman; 14th June 2011 at 12:24 AM.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries
    Right. Here's a link. It's a thread relating to the editing of posts. Read it.

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/sho...7-Post-Editing

Quote Originally Posted by CaterpillarWoman
    So, maybe, cut some slack
    has anyone noticed C 's adorable when shes worked up?

can italicize now....thankyou

I think the post-editing time limit was a good idea, I just didn't post about it because I was happy with it. :p (Isn't that silly? People tend to only speak up when they are unhappy with something and when something happens that they are cool with, they may appreciate it, but will be less vocal about it. And I'm no exception. Ack! lol)

But anyway I could see how it could be pretty useful. There were some threads on the old board I had trouble following.

It's probably not a big deal either way, it's a minor feature. But if you guys did want to give it a trial run, I bet there are other folks who think it could be a good idea to try it out too and just haven't said anything :p If trying it angers people, I'm sure you guys will be informed of that too lol.

*edit*

I try really hard to consider my words when I post them and will keep this in mind when editing, thank you. Sometimes I edit too much. :p And on that note I have edited this post 5 times lol. Goodnight, hehe
    Last edited by Seeuzin; 14th June 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeuzin View Post
    Isn't that silly? People tend to only speak up when they are unhappy with something and when something happens that they are cool with, they may appreciate it, but will be less vocal about it.
    I don't think we are silly.

This thread is about reporting (and probably discussing) 'forum weirdness' (see title).

So this kind of 'bug reporting' and some way of upcoming criticism is just a natural thing to do here (so I thought). In a thread like this you (are asked to) report things that you want to be changed because they don't work or should work better/differently, that's all, it is not about negativity and ranting in general, which is not my cup of tea either.

And as I said above: the smileys RULE

So this kind of 'bug reporting' and some way of upcoming criticism is just a natural thing to do here (so I thought).
    Of course it's natural :p But it is an important point, that if all the mods hear are complaints about a given feature, and don't hear positive feedback from people who would like it to stay, they may leave with a mistaken impression and change something that people were happy with.

Maybe people in general ARE unhappy with this feature, but so far there haven't been many complaints. So most people are at least "neutral" on it, and I for one like it! I would not be surprised if there are others.

Saying "Hey, I like this feature, keep it!" is just as important for them to hear as "This needs changing," and is definitely relevant to a forum feedback thread. They need to hear both.

As for the "silly" comment, it was people in a general sense who I was calling silly, and I'm sorry you felt it was personal. I've always enjoyed your posts. Forgive me Volgerle?

/tangent

To be honest, I will also admit that I was also reacting to the tone of some of the complaints, and the fact that some posters had not even read what the "12 hours" meant before making up their own definition of the rule (that you had to wait 12 hours and THEN could edit) and then proceeded to complain about it.

I'm very grateful for what the mods do here and it "got me" a bit. They've helped me a lot. You all have.

Yeah the smileys are cool.

/tangent off
    Last edited by Seeuzin; 14th June 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    has anyone noticed C 's adorable when shes worked up?

can italicize now....thankyou
    That's because she has had to deal with all the problems of the migration and the setting up of the new forums, singlehandedly, and I haven't been any help at all, partly due to illness, and partly due to some more forum weirdness related to my own account, so you should be grateful she's here to take care of them as they spring up.
    AD Pedia:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/sho...abetical-Order
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php

"Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeuzin View Post
    Forgive me Volgerle?
    nothing to forgive, we're fine and we're all friends here anyway
    which includes of course our -ly moderators, they are great!
    (... and the smileys )
    This collector of useless clutter.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast