Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fiction recommendation

Fiction recommendation

I'm starting on My Big Toe at work since it's available online but I need something to read at home. Can anyone recommend a good spiritual based work of fiction? I'm looking for a real page turner. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I liked "Damn Faeries" but it's not a page-turner- it's more like a bunch of short stories that make you feel magical all over.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

Joan Grant

I really enjoyed Winged Pharaoh by Joan Grant. It is not exactly a fiction as it is said to be the account of one of her past life, but it is very well written and it feels like you're actually reading a very captivating historical novel!

It may be of interest to you if Ancient Egypt is your thing, or if you are simply curious to learn more about it. What's very interesting also, is that the main character is a ''dream priestess'', trained in esoterics and what really seem to be some kind of projections or OBEs.

Joan also wrote several other books, which are all said to be accounts of past life memories, so if Ancient Egypt is not exactly your cup of tea, there are several others to choose from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_Pharaoh

I'll check both of these - thanks! I went to the public library this morning and checked out The Alchemist. So far, so good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by poème View Post
    I really enjoyed Winged Pharaoh by Joan Grant. It is not exactly a fiction as it is said to be the account of one of her past life, but it is very well written and it feels like you're actually reading a very captivating historical novel!

It may be of interest to you if Ancient Egypt is your thing, or if you are simply curious to learn more about it. What's very interesting also, is that the main character is a ''dream priestess'', trained in esoterics and what really seem to be some kind of projections or OBEs.

Joan also wrote several other books, which are all said to be accounts of past life memories, so if Ancient Egypt is not exactly your cup of tea, there are several others to choose from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_Pharaoh
    That sounds like something to put on the 'next' list.
    If you like this type of thing, did you ever read Normam Mailer's 'Ancient Evenings'? I read it many many many years ago, when I was like twenty.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries
    Well, there's The Celestine Prophecy and its sequels (can't remember the names of the sequels just offhand). I found it kind of trite, but many people have been very inspired by it, so it might be worth checking out.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries
    I loved the "Alchemist"! His other books are good too.

If you like a good fantasy series, I highly recommend The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant that I read back in my twenties and that my eldest son has subsequently read and loved.

You might also like Christian Jacq's series
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Ramses&x=0&y=0
    They offer a rosy Egyptian fantasy with nice touches of magic.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries
    If you're REALLY up for having your reality challenged, check out Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damndest Thing by Jed McKenna. It's not marketed as fiction, but it's pretty clear that it is, and even the author doesn't exist. Given the topic of the book, a fictional book that many have taken as non-fiction with an author who is equally fictional is pretty clever.

BUT... only read it if you want a real cage rattling. I don't know anyone who has read it that didn't have a strong reaction to it, one way or the other.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Dion Fortune (1890 - 1946)
    Respected psychiatrist, occultist, and author who approached magick and hermetic concepts from the perspectives of Jung and Freud. She was a prolific occult writer of novels and non-fiction books, an adept in ceremonial magick, and a pioneer psychiatrist on religious thought in occultism. Dion Fortune first experienced occultism when her Kundalini Ignited in her teens which lead to all her past-lives being suddenly merged with her HS.Then onwards her path was clear.

I got hooked after reading her iconic "Psychic Self Defence" - incredibly luscious writing full of mystique ,each sentance , each tale a lush stroke of terror and danger that she faced as a skilled practicing spiritualist...but apart from all that so very incredibly ahead of her times (she was writing of astral-attacks, psychic-attacks, psi-vapirism ,counter-attacking neg-attachement , sympathetic-applied majick in the pre-1919 eras of stifled orthodoxy).Absolutely astounding.
    Once you read her - there's just no looking back.You will not be able to believe that someone has lived such a heart-pounding , adrenaline-rushing life that seems to be a peak-experience through all of it all.
    During the 1930s Dion Fortune wrote several esoteric novels which contain much practical detail which was considered too 'secret' at that time to be published in her articles or textbooks. She also pioneered Qabalah as a key to the Western Mystery Tradition, and her book The Mystical Qabalah is still one of the best texts available on the subject. Her other main work was The Cosmic Doctrine, which was received mediumistically and originally reserved for initiates only. Its text is abstract and difficult to follow, and is intended for meditation rather than as a straight textbook.
    "Diana L. Paxson, author, sister-in-law and long-time collaborator of Marion Zimmer Bradley, credits Dion Fortune's work on the mystical aspects of the Arthurian legend as being the inspiration for The Mists of Avalon. She stated in a letter which was included on the Random House author bio page for Zimmer Bradley, that Dion Fortune's Vivian Le Fay Morgan was both the progenitor and descendant of the Morgaine that came to life in the Mists novel."
    Dion Fortune has written about the, "Magical Battle of Britain", which was a purported attempt by British occultists to magically aid the war effort and which aimed to forestall the German invasion during World War II. Her efforts in regard to this are recorded in a series of letters she wrote at the time. The effort by Fortune is said to have contributed to her death shortly after the war ended

Dion Fortune a pioneer ,a vangaurd and an adpet in every sense of the word.

Blog Entries

Interesting suggestions everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler View Post
    That sounds like something to put on the 'next' list.
    If you like this type of thing, did you ever read Normam Mailer's 'Ancient Evenings'? I read it many many many years ago, when I was like twenty.
    No, I never read that one and I didn't know about this author... I'll check if I can find it at my local library... I would love to read more about Ancient Egypt

...Many interesting titles are given here in fact... Now where's my already long to-read list