Thread: Trance Definition

Trance Definition

Hello Again

This week, I have been experimenting with trance as per week 4 on the course and here is my problem: I don't really have too much of a problem entering into a deeply relaxed state and nearing the edge of sleep - however at this point, I will see dream images in my mind's eye and although I do concentrate, it is incredibly hard not to fall asleep. Of course, I manage to snap out of it as I am sitting in a chair without a headrest.

Now would seeing these images be considered a level of trance? I am guessing yes, but am slightly uncertain.

Now at what point would one consider an exit technique here? I am thinking that I am at a lighter level of trance, but at a level where I could easily drift away as well.

Thanks

Keith

Re: Trance Definition

I think it very much depends, as I've seen quite a few different definitions of 'trance', I'm sure one of the more experienced members will fill you in. But I will say that from your description I would not say that it was a trance - under the definition of trance that I have been working with.. although perhaps as you say it could be classed as a light trance. For me, the entrance into trance is usually (although not always) very noticable as a stong wave of heavyness and 'falling' comes over me, I can feel my energy body expand (usually) and the clarity of thinking changes noticably (I think this is the change in brain waves).

That very close to dropping-off-to-sleep feeling you described is near to the trance state, but I think this is more your physical mind going in and out of sleep than your body - and for trance it has to be the other way around, i.e. your body going to sleep and your mind staying awake. I have found that if I am tired and get that nodding-off stage before trance, where I am starting to see dream images etc, that if I hold it for a while and then mentally wake myself up a bit, then my body keeps going and falls asleep but my mind holds itself awake enough and then I get the full trance sensations. I have read that going into trance is basically just recreating the falling asleep process, but just holding on to that little bit of conciousness with your mind, then once your body is asleep you can 'wake up' and expand your mind a bit more without breaking the trance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems from my observations that in the normal falling asleep process, the mind falls asleep first, followed soon after by the body? So when trying to induce trance you essentially have to make your body believe that the mind is asleep then it will follow? That's why clearing your mind of all thoughts and 'narrowing' your conciousness is important to 'trick' your body into trance..?
    Endurance, as everywhere, will be the measure of your success.

Thanks Jamboh for your definition.

Well, this gives me something else to shoot for. I have been thinking that there must be more to it as I have been spinning my wheels for such a long time. Hopefully now, I can make a bit more progress!

I wouldn't necessarily go just by my definition though as I'm still a beginner myself!

If you're having no problems getting your body relaxed easily, then maybe focus more practice on the mental side? In my limted experience having a clear focused mind that is free of thoughts, is a major factor in achieving trance. I think it helps if you get into a routine of trancing at the same time every day... and try not to do it if you are over tired as then falling asleep could become habitual.

Good luck with it!... and don't give up! I'm in a similar situation with projecting.. can get trance and vibrations but no exit, frustrating but I just need to persevere I think!
    Endurance, as everywhere, will be the measure of your success.

Blog Entries

Jamboh, you've explained well.

Begeegs, you're doing very well too, so hang in there. It's possible to phase into a dream if you can maintain consciousness while the hypnogogics develop but it is one of those getting-it-just- right things sometimes. The practice of keeping yourself conscious at the line between awake and asleep takes you closer to OBEs, so this is the way forward.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)