Thread: Dropping dead

Dropping dead

I was hiking up in some mountains, and with me on the trip came my father. We were up on a footpath in a beautiful area with lush canopies and hillsides covered in rhododendron and lots of other cool flowering bushes and plants.

We went into some castle/cloisterlike ruins that lay on the mountainside. My dad started walking on the edge of a 600 m drop and I feared for his life so I told him to stop and walk normally. Instead he made an insane jump which would have sent him tumbling down the mountainside, had he not narrowly caught hold on the outer castle wall with one of his hands. He climbed up and sat recklessly leaning over the edge of the cliff and said: “Come look at the view!”

“What the hell are you doing, dad!” I yelled. Next second he was throwing himself off to the next portion of the wall, this time though, he fell. I feel myself screaming as he falls in slow motion down the mountainside. But he somehow manages to get another hold 20 m down.

Next scene, he’s back on the footpath, and I’m so pissed at him so I tell him I’ll go another way if he doesn’t stop this, NOW. He doesn’t seem to listen so I leave.

I go down into the green valley below. A river flows through the valley, and down here there are kids playing. It’s a wealthy suburban area with pretty large houses and villas. I feel like a poor beggar.
    I wake up with my mom in my room, I describe the dream and she listens but doesn’t pay attention.
    Then I wake up again, it was a dream within a dream. Wicked.

Would appreciate any comments on this. Thanks.

Cheers.

John
    ...but my words like silent raindrops fell
    and echoed in the wells of silence.

Re: Dropping dead

Using a impormptu version of Robert Moss' technique of lightning dream interpretation, I'd say, if it was my dream, I'd think that my father was trying to fly, but that it made me uncomfortable because I haven't explored how taking risks can lead to liberation and transformation. If it had been my dream, the dream within a dream could indicate two different levels of dreaming, and that my mother either didn't have access to the inner level or wasn't interested. (I assume your mother has been putting up with your father's eccentricities since before you were born)

Blog Entries

Would appreciate any comments on this. Thanks.
    It’s hard to know what your dream means without knowing what’s going on in your life and where your focus is but there are some pretty standard, even Biblical images in your dream. If this were my dream, I might consider the following:

I was hiking up in some mountains, and with me on the trip came my father. We were up on a footpath in a beautiful area with lush canopies and hillsides covered in rhododendron and lots of other cool flowering bushes and plants.
    For me, this would represent aspirations. I’d probably associate this with my desire for spiritual progress and I’d take the fertile environment as a good sign.

I’d have to decide if “father” was going to be the part of me that is authoritative, protective and sensible or if it was going to represent my actual father. Since you’re a fella, and I’m not, you’ll have to consider if father is a shadow aspect, acting out later in the dream to get your attention.

We went into some castle/cloisterlike ruins that lay on the mountainside.
    I’d probably feel excited about such a dream setting, seeing it as a place where I might find hidden scrolls or mysterious artifacts of a spiritual nature. How did you feel about the setting?

A ruined edifice could represent a largely discarded belief system.

My dad started walking on the edge of a 600 m drop and I feared for his life so I told him to stop and walk normally. Instead he made an insane jump which would have sent him tumbling down the mountainside, had he not narrowly caught hold on the outer castle wall with one of his hands. He climbed up and sat recklessly leaning over the edge of the cliff and said: “Come look at the view!”
    Do you feel this may represent a behaviour in your present repertoire? Is there some way you or your dad are throwing yourselves off the deep end? Does that frighten you? Is it the remnants of old beliefs that give you some stability now or, is that in fact, holding you back from a true leap of faith and a broader perspective (the view)?

“What the hell are you doing, dad!” I yelled. Next second he was throwing himself off to the next portion of the wall, this time though, he fell. I feel myself screaming as he falls in slow motion down the mountainside. But he somehow manages to get another hold 20 m down.

So, “Dad” seems to know better than you that everything is okay, though he is descending, so maybe that’s not an ideal symbol. If “Dad” represents authority, then perhaps descent has a deep purpose in your worldview, maybe going deep within? Of course, Moses had to come back down the mountain if he was to deliver the tablets, so descent is necessary for bringing back the information.

Next scene, he’s back on the footpath,
    How Biblical, he found his path!

and I’m so pissed at him so I tell him I’ll go another way if he doesn’t stop this, NOW. He doesn’t seem to listen so I leave.

I go down into the green valley below. A river flows through the valley, and down here there are kids playing. It’s a wealthy suburban area with pretty large houses and villas. I feel like a poor beggar.
    Well, your way certainly leads to a place of repose and refreshment but it leaves you feeling impoverished.

I wake up with my mom in my room, I describe the dream and she listens but doesn’t pay attention.
    Mum (sorry, I’m Australian) may represent your more intuitive, feminine aspect. Just as Dad should have been sensible, Mum’s supposed to be nurturing and attentive but here she is ignoring you. Why, do you think?
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Quote Originally Posted by farewell2arms View Post
    it was a within a dream. Wicked
    ok total synchronicity for me! - couple hours back i was talking to a friend about "dream in a dream" - which is the very exact subject matter for Inception you ought watch it if you havent already (no good eyecandy sadly , the chick just aint hot sorry to say) - but it's a watch definitely worth your money.

Quote Originally Posted by noctua_breve View Post
    but that it made me uncomfortable because I haven't explored how taking risks can lead to liberation and transformation.
    That's VERY interesting. Indeed this might be the very thing it's about actually.

More unfolds down below:

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    For me, this would represent aspirations. I’d probably associate this with my desire for spiritual progress and I’d take the fertile environment as a good sign.

I’d have to decide if “father” was going to be the part of me that is authoritative, protective and sensible or if it was going to represent my actual father. Since you’re a fella, and I’m not, you’ll have to consider if father is a shadow aspect, acting out later in the dream to get your attention.
    Hmm, I have often seen my father in dreams as a sort of, more wise version of me. This might be the case here also. Yes I would say so.

I’d probably feel excited about such a dream setting, seeing it as a place where I might find hidden scrolls or mysterious artifacts of a spiritual nature. How did you feel about the setting?
    It was an amazing place for sure, and I'd really like to get back there. Maybe I'll build my own sanctuary there in a meditation... it was lovely.

A ruined edifice could represent a largely discarded belief system.
    Interesting...

Do you feel this may represent a behaviour in your present repertoire? Is there some way you or your dad are throwing yourselves off the deep end? Does that frighten you? Is it the remnants of old beliefs that give you some stability now or, is that in fact, holding you back from a true leap of faith and a broader perspective (the view)?
    Yes! That must be what it's about. Plain fear, basically. That's what I felt when dad went over the cliff, too.

I was actually accepting his death on the way down... though he didn't die.

Now, that sentence above strikes me as a very good description of the ego death. That's what this is about...

So, “Dad” seems to know better than you that everything is okay, though he is descending, so maybe that’s not an ideal symbol. If “Dad” represents authority, then perhaps descent has a deep purpose in your worldview, maybe going deep within? Of course, Moses had to come back down the mountain if he was to deliver the tablets, so descent is necessary for bringing back the information.
    I think this is a symbol of letting go of that which must be let go of, as it falls away... wow, that came out nicely.

Well, your way certainly leads to a place of repose and refreshment but it leaves you feeling impoverished.
    I better get back up on that mountain...

Mum (sorry, I’m Australian) may represent your more intuitive, feminine aspect. Just as Dad should have been sensible, Mum’s supposed to be nurturing and attentive but here she is ignoring you. Why, do you think?
    I'm not sure. Hmm.

Thanks for the interpretation!

John
    ...but my words like silent raindrops fell
    and echoed in the wells of silence.