Thread: How does the Mystic Experience Joy and Bliss?

Red face How does the Mystic Experience Joy and Bliss?

The intensification of joy and bliss through spiritual practices take an almost central role in Yogic literature.

1. Could you please comment on your experience of joy and bliss and how it progressed for you during your practice?
    2. What is your opinion of this aspect, e.g. should one make it a central theme in ones practice etc.?

To elaborate on my reference I will mention the lives of Sri Ramakrishna, Lahiri Mahasaya, Papa Ramdas, Sri Sri Sri Shivabalayogi, Paramahamsa Pranabananda etc. Most advancing aspirants go through a phase called "Mad for God", where they are so intoxicated with bliss that they become like little children.

Swami Rama's guru when in such a state once fell into a very deep well, completely unhurt and protected by the omniscient hand of God. Pranabananda in the Autobiography of a Yogi had to ask for retirement after 8 years of evening meditation because he was so intoxicated that he could not perform his duties at the railway.

Yogananda advised that we must become spiritual alcoholics and become drunk with the joy and bliss of God. God is ever-new joy, Satchitananda. I think his guru Shriyukteshwar said that ones spiritual advancement should only be measured in terms of how much bliss is felt during meditation.

I thank you sincerely in advance, and I appreciate all the questions you have answered in the past.

Re: How does the Mystic Experience Joy and Bliss?

You are talking here about mystics who spend most of each day meditating. I used to do that, but I don't get a lot of free time these days. So my current practices are lighter than they used to be a few years back. But I make up for it with more service, helping people, which is where I find my joy.

robert

Re: How does the Mystic Experience Joy and Bliss?

What I do is focus on my breathing, this slows my ego mind down which causes me to feel more at peace and happy as well as detached from trival things
    It is my destiny to play an infinity of roles, but I'm not the roles I play, I am the Spirit that plays these roles