Fasting will help with controlling the ego and its habits. This, in time, crushes the ego. then you can rebuild it to work for you rather than against you. it is very powerful and an essential ingredient in your being.

Most of what you are experiencing is private, and should be kept private. normal people are not open to such discussion. but people on the same path will understand.

the key to deeper states is time and practice and patience. the engine that drives this is deep, deep, deep physical mental relaxation. this takes time to master. Be patient and keep at it every day and you will progressively get deeper. there are no shortcuts beyond altered state sounds, but these are like training wheels and while they are most helpful, eventually you need to do it under your own steam.

Wear a scarf during meditation....this may help.

The length of a meditation is a journey in and of itself. you will find that 90 minutes or so are needed to get fully settled.

Keep at it and you will get used to this. your body will ache and be uncomfortable because your flesh is hanging differently in and erect position (I assume you are using a chair...if not, consider this as it helps enormously). As the flesh hangs, because your body is asleep, it stretches ligaments that are not used to this situation. Give it time and they will adjust. Then you can do it for longer.

I have felt some energy leave me and head your way...I hope it helps.

Remember, this is a journey...one step at a time and xmas will be here before you know it.

peace, robert