Thread: Ideal Meditation Chair. Your thoughts?

Question Ideal Meditation Chair. Your thoughts?

Hi Robert, I've heard you say multiple times in interviews, it is best to use a chair to Meditate for the slight discomfort. Can you give your thoughts on your ideal chair?

For example: Head rest, or no head rest? Arm rests? Straight back? Leaning back?

Could you link a picture to your chair or a similar one you use?

I know everyone is different and this question may be simple, but I'm sooo curious what you use. I find it difficult to keep my head up while sitting. Thanks in advance.

Curious explorer,

Lakes

Re: Ideal Meditation Chair. Your thoughts?

Here's what I use

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o..._vc=cross-sell

And here is what I plan to get next, when my current chair wears out. My cat is rapidly destroying my current chair.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...ack-owmondhbbk

I use a rectangular stool that is the same height as the seat of my chair when fully lowered, to put my legs on when meditating and etc. If you don't do this, your ankles and feet will tend to swell.

I also use a firm square cushion that I place behind my head, pushed down so my upper shoulders hold it in place against the chair. This gives a little support to my head.

I keep the chair in its straight position, which is slightly back from the vertical.

It pays to be fussy about your position to get everything right.

However, at times I will use any other chair for meditation, even kitchen chairs and couches. So long as I can keep my back reasonably straight I am fine, even with no head support.

You need to find a position where your back is reasonably straight and your head can be balanced on your neck.

This position is much like what you would get if you used several pillows to prop yourself up in bed.

That said, you can make do with any type of chair and adapt it to suit with cushions and footstool (or use another chair for your feet).

There is a lot to be said about a straight spine. If you have every done Qi Gong 'hug a tree pose' you will know that when you finally get your spine as straight as possible, you'll feel a big surge of energy up your right side and down your left. Its like a line is drawn exactly down your middle...with energy moving up through your whole right side and down your left side.

To get this pose right, you need to stand with your back touching a door jam to help you straighten your spine. You also need to hold your feet 'straight' and apart in line with your shoulders, and to bend your knees so that, if you glance down, your toes just disappear. Sounds simple but it is tricky and takes considerable practice.

If your head tends to rock, meaning you are clicking out or falling asleep, use a harder chair. A wooden dining chair with no cushion is good for this, and no foot stool. Use a hard cushion under your feet if the leg height to ground is wrong. This will be uncomfortable enough to help keep you conscious.

It is best to do your meditation early in the morning when your mind is fresh. If you tend to still fall asleep in a hard chair, you have a sleep deficit that needs to be addressed. So, either catch up on your sleep, or use a 'harder' chair. A sleep deficit can be useful as it makes it easier to fall into a deep altered state, but you will need to use 'slight discomfort' at a suitable level to keep you conscious.

robert

Thank you very much, that's just the type of detail I was hoping for.

Funny thing, I listen to your interviews and there are many times you talk about something super interesting that you don't cover in your books. And I'm always yelling "ask him more questions about that!" as I'm listening haha. So you can bet I'll have more curious questions

Thanks again,
    Lakes

I am a detail person...lol. But there is only so much you can find in a book. Astral Dynamics was originally over 100k words and a thousand pages...had to cut it down a tad.

peace, robert