What I mean by this question is something pretty simple, is it alright to do energy work to help someone through emotional and physical pain without their approval or knowledge of such an event?

I often times take people's "bad" or negative energy from them and use myself to purify it, it usually drains me for a few days because I usually try to give as much of my own "good" or positive energy to them as I can bear to lose, in exchange so to say. I'm not bothered by becoming sad or drained for a few days and if I put effort into it I can get back to my normal levels quite easily and quickly.

So the real question here is am I going to hurt them at all by doing this? I try to avoid making the person know I am doing it and just pull their problems from them. Whether it is an emotional pain (in this case I just try to dull the pain but not remove the learning experience) or physical (in this case I can easily visualize the area of the body that is affected and I can see a sort of black tar like sort of energy and I usually pull that away from them and purify that on the spot and release it all into the world and then give the person all of my positive energy in return.) The person that I do this most often with I care for very much an I would gladly be hurt instead of them so I never really worry about myself or taking on too much bad when I am doing this. But is this okay? Is it wrong to do? Will it hurt them or make them overconfident? Or will it just remove some unnecessary weight? I mean it's not like I am looking into the reason behind the hurt, I am just purifying the negative energy and giving them an influx of positive.

Please leave your opinion or response, I'd be glad to expand on pretty much anything in here so feel free to ask questions as well.