Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Loving self vs. too much ego

Re: Loving self vs. too much ego

I think sometimes those qualities you give Dontco are needed to overshadow the personality itself. Some jobs require a lot of these qualities to be successful. Politicians are a good example. Being able to step back afterwards and analyse yourself is the important part I think. To work in harmony with all characteristics that are displayed at the time and to know you are showing these for a reason. And the right reason. Being able to analyse yourself and ask the question Why?

" O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us.
    To see oorsels as ithers see us!
    It wad frae mony a blonder free us,
    An foolish notion."

Robby Burns
    ( if we could only see ourselves through each other's eyes)

Blog Entries

Thanks, Susan! you are such a nice person (and not just because of this response, but a good person in general). I think analysing ourselves in really an important part of spiritual grown (in the right amount).
    I've come to the conclusion that we have no other choice but to love ourselves, since the other possibility is self hatred and no good comes out of it- it only makes the person miserable. If that person is miserable- he or she will not be able to love others as much as he or she could if they loved themselves. That same person will look for love and approval from others- because they cannot find them in themselves. They will be more jealous of others, idolize them and generally have less self worth. The same thing they will pass on to their children. They will think they are not worthy of the love of another and may end up in abusive relationships.
    This is the answer I've come to myself a long time after I posted this thread
    My twitter inspirational quotes account
    "By your own effort waken yourself, watch yourself. And live joyfully. You are the master." —Buddha
    I am another you. You are another me.

What do you guys think about making "cocky" jokes? I do a lot of those without actually meaning them, just because I find cocky jokes to be funny. Could this be a bad thing and subconciously make me believe what I say? Or is it just humor?

Blog Entries

Well, I think you should be careful of your talk to others and your self- talk also. In Joseph Murphy's book he talked about a father whose daughter had some kind of incurable desease and he kept saying "I would give my right arm for her to heal" all the time. And guess what? At some point he was in a car crash and his arm was cut off! that same day his daughter was healed (I think she had a skin desase). So I would say... be careful of your self talk. The universe is always listening and your subconscious does not understand jokes.

PS- you can find the book online, if you wanna.
    My twitter inspirational quotes account
    "By your own effort waken yourself, watch yourself. And live joyfully. You are the master." —Buddha
    I am another you. You are another me.

...I'm sorry but I don't wish to have any stalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    What do you guys think about making "cocky" jokes? I do a lot of those without actually meaning them, just because I find cocky jokes to be funny. Could this be a bad thing and subconciously make me believe what I say? Or is it just humor?
    Do you mean like, sort of "showing off" but in a humorous way?

If you do, personally I think it's fine...until they start doing it too often, then I just start getting tiered of the person or worse I start wondering if he's actually being serious. I would advice making sure that the people you are with actually think it's funny, and that they are not just laughing awkwardly.
    What is a "Signature"? Oooh I see now...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
    Lots of different definitions of ego here. I've always thought of it as myself. The conscious self aware presence looking out from behind my eyes that thinks, dreams, feels acts and grows.
    That's the usual way I use it, but nowadays esoterica has assigned various meanings to the word.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

7. Re: Loving self vs. too much ego

The most basic definition of ego is essentially the sense of self that we identify with as being "I." There is nothing wrong with this in and of itself, but this depends on the nature of the identification. If one creates an identification with one's self that leads to the arising of unwholesome states of mind and unskillful actions, then this is something that should be remedied through proper insight and a transformation of beliefs. It is of upmost importance to be conscious of the activities of one's mind so that one may be aware of the tendencies of the mind that give rise to harmful thoughts, emotions, and actions, and work towards eliminating these harmful mind states.
    Escaping Velocity. Not just infinity, but eternity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by outofbodydude View Post
    The most basic definition of ego is essentially the sense of self that we identify with as being "I." There is nothing wrong with this in and of itself, but this depends on the nature of the identification. If one creates an identification with one's self that leads to the arising of unwholesome states of mind and unskillful actions, then this is something that should be remedied through proper insight and a transformation of beliefs. It is of upmost importance to be conscious of the activities of one's mind so that one may be aware of the tendencies of the mind that give rise to harmful thoughts, emotions, and actions, and work towards eliminating these harmful mind states.
    Exactly!
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Be the observer. It does not deny the Ego acting. It doesn't hate it either. It observes it and knows it is not entirely it but another instance of your (higher) self.

If you ever act with your ego (anger, greed, hate, pride, etc.) try to step beside your"self" and observe, without too much judgement or with none at all. By this you are aware of the "other level" and the Ego alike.
    This collector of useless clutter.

Ego is not just the negative aspects of thought feeling and behavior. It is contained consciousness - the observer of objects of consciousness... negative, positive and every point in between. Ego can get lost in classifying and identifying with aspects and objects on that continuum.