My overall progress has been arrested at this point. I want to enter the deep trance state for a more intense meditation, more effective energy work, and to consciously induce OBEs. However, without first learning how to enter a deep trance, those aren't attainable goals, so they're no longer my current focus.

I'm hoping I could get some help with this. I'm sure it's something simple.

*I've never purposefully induced this state. I've only ever come upon it accidentally a few minutes after waking up. It feels like being in a limbo between awake and asleep, with thoughts having very noticeable impact, energy being easy to feel, the occasional floating dream sequence, and a sense of happiness is present. I feel very detached, almost like I'm nowhere. I've never been able to hold it for a few minutes before falling back asleep or snapping back to wakefulness.

*I do not receive much physical exercise, but otherwise I'm in good health. I'm guessing not exercising to exhaustion hurts my ability to relax.

*Breathing exercises don't seem to have any affect on my heart rate or level of relaxation.

*Lack of focus seems to draw me further into trance states, but paradoxically, I can't stay awake if I'm not focused.

*Awareness meditation doesn't seem to help either.

*Before attempting to enter a trance, I do about 20 minutes of stretching and relaxing/tensing. However, the relaxation gained from this wears off in about a half an hour. Perhaps there is long standing tension.

*I have a very serious attitude and rarely find myself happy.

With that information, what advice can you give towards reaching the deep trance? What potentially counterproductive things am I doing, and what other techniques are there to help me?