Thread: How many universes are there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: How many universes are there?

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler View Post
    I had the understanding that space (the spacetime continuum) can't be infinite because it's expanding,
    contrary to popular understanding, there is not one infinity. Infinities come in different 'sizes'. Also infinite is can expand/increase though perversely it doesn't get any 'larger'. Note that combining infinities can make a 'larger' infinity. Its better not to think of infinity as a precise number. Though not technically correct, it is easier to work with if you consider it an undefined really large amount.

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler View Post
    and for it to expand there has to be some sort of 'quantity' aspect, that maybe what is infinite is 'where' it's expanding to?
    It does have a 'quantity' aspect. That quantity in this case is 'infinity'.

I know it kills brain cells to contemplate something expanding into nothing. However in the case of universes, that is pretty much the case. Really, the size of the universe does not affect nor is affected by the nothing.

Infinity need not expand 'to' anywhere. One can just as easily get an infinity by dividing something. For instance, cutting a pie into ever smaller pieces. The total amount of pie remains the same.
    Sin nada (Nothing is impossible)

...I'm sorry but I don't wish to have any stalkers.

Re: How many universes are there?

This thread is really interesting and fun to read, I have already tried reading it like three times.

...I tried, because I can't really say that I understand everything that is going on here...but you don't have to understand something to enjoy it ^_^

But can anyone really prove something is infinite? I think that the word "infinite" is being used lightly here...That being said I need not go to other dimensions, for I'am already talking with myself....no seriously I do it everyday...in the shower, in the toilet, when I'm walking in circles in my room...I should probably stop there...

PS. Sorry for just writing about random stuff...basically what I'm trying to say is that I think this thread is interesting hehe.
    Last edited by MooSaysTheCat; 28th May 2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: I wrote "a" instead of "is" and I went crazy
    What is a "Signature"? Oooh I see now...