Hello there Robert,
I've had great difficulty thus far astral projecting willingly outside of dreams, however I've noticed one thing I can do with quite consistency is move my viewpoint outside my body--though it seems to be constrained to my body in some way, as it can only venture about a 'neighborhood block' away from my physical body in parameter. When I read your book, at first I thought it what you called something like a mind's eye projection(I don't have the text by my side at the moment, that might not be exactly the name), however it differs in that my 'viewpoint' has a nonphysical body, which is different both from my physical body, and every time I use it, but it is constantly moving in some way, and I am able to see both through it's eyes and outside of it in the third person (not from my own physical vision) simultaneously.

I first discovered it in my early teens while in the passenger seat of a long car ride, I'd practice 'throwing' my perspective down the side streets we passed as we drove down the main road, I thought it only a creative exercise till the car turned down one of the streets I'd been nonphysically looking at, and what I saw matched perfectly what I thought I was imagining.
When I do it, meditation and a light trance state help intensify the sensations, but I also don't have any problem just sitting down and going right at it--I don't even close my eyes! But I know it not to be a full astral projection as I am still so connected to my physical body, I haven't 'left' it in any way.
What on earth am I doing, what is this? Can I do something to turn it into a full projection?

Thanks,
Apphia