One enormous issue that I'm dealing with is what I believe to be psychological repression of negative memories.

These negative memories manifest themselves as automatic responses towards situations that override conscious control and produce extreme anxiety.

For example, I have a difficult time interacting with large groups of people. I also have difficulty "getting physical," being challenged by other people, and having to do work on a deadline. If I have to do any of these things, I begin to hyperventilate or breathe too little automatically, my mind becomes unfocused, my thoughts become malicious, I start going "dumb" as intelligent thoughts become too difficult to pull out, I get terrible headaches, I ultimately feel horrible in every part of my body, and I get poor sleep. These effects accumulate over stressful days and create terrible fatigue and depressive symptoms. These responses are absolutely automatic and no matter how I try to steer myself consciously, it happens regardless. I've come to realize that this mechanism is the biggest block to success in my life in all activities.

I've managed to overcome some of this anxiety in *some* areas by confronting situations related to the repressed memories head on, but that's only worked marginally. I still deal with this terrible mechanism in those situations, just to a lessened degree. "Confronting" the issues still hasn't seemed to fix it.

This might seem like an issue to ask a psychologist, but I'm not confident a regular psychologist knows just *how* to fix this. I suspect they might give me a few methods for controlling anxiety, none of which I'm not already acquainted with, and they'd never know how to get to the core of the issue and fix it.

I want to fix this issue at its core, rather than subdue the symptoms. What is the best solution for this? Is there any you can recommend?

Thank you.