When your brow chakra or 3rd eye is "opened" what do you see?

People talk about the fact that you need to do work and eventually your 3rd eye will be opened, kind of like losing your virginity, and from then on it is open. Is this true?

The only weird aspects of this I've encountered is after a month or 2 of trying to do all this astral stuff, I woke up one morning and turned off the alarm, laid back down and closed my eyes and then I SAW through a small tunnel as clear as if my eyes were open a picture of Mars, with the camera tilting and flying and uncontrollable.

Since then I've tried to reproduce the same thing with no luck, I've tried to work on my 3rd eye and stimulate the energy there as well as other places and still no luck.

The best I can do is at the moment of sleep when you don't realize you are asleep and then you wake up, you see something for a split second. Whatever you are dreaming about at the time.

Anyone have any really good techniques to induce this? Being able to physically SEE as clear as with your eyes open?

Also when your 3rd eye is open what do you see? I only see odd patterns and such sometimes with my eyes closed, does that mean its active?

Thx