So, I can get deep physical relaxation. It usually takes a minute or 10 to let all tension slide off, and there I am, not feeling my body. Could go on for hours. Cool.

It takes a little more time to zero my mind, letting the little thought trains go by without hopping on, and after a while the trains no longer ride, just like the Dutch railroads. This state is a lot harder to maintain, however, and I feel I need to make some kind of conscious effort to keep an empty mind. Once I give up, I am back to normal, immediately, with the usual chitchat going through my head. No cool.

Is there any way to reach a state of mental relaxation, I guess it is trance, which will maintain itself without conscious effort? I played a bit with ladder/elevator/falling visualisations, but these do nothing more than just ladder/elevator/falling visualisations. Hypnagogic state, yes, but I don't seem to be able to maintain this for long. Also, whatever I try, I don't fall asleep, and the harder I try to meditate/relax/hypnagoogle, the more awake I get.

How should I proceed? Start to drink?