Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OBE work and ADHD

Tempestinateapot Guest
    I'm kind of in between drugs and no drugs. My youngest son (now 29) was one of the most hyper-active kids I've ever seen. A family friend, who is a psychiatrist, spent lunch and an afternoon watching him when he was about 8. She said that he definitely was ADD (this was long before they changed the diagnosis to ADHD), but that her feeling was that unless a child literally couldn't sit down for 5 minutes, that they shouldn't be drugged. Her daughter was on Ritalin.

He has had trouble all his life with concentrating. He has never (ever) read a book, cover to cover. He simply can't. But, he can play video games for hours on end. After watching him for so many years, I took an ADHD test, and I could definitely be diagnosed with it (or rather, the adult version). I've had trouble all my life. But, I can read a book, cover to cover. But, if I'm in a conversation with someone in which I'm bored, you can move heaven and earth, and I can't concentrate on it. Thus, I do a lot of avoiding of talking with certain people.

So, my point is that I think it affects different people different ways. It was difficult for me in the beginning to go into a trance. After practice, I could drop into a deep trance in a matter of seconds. I still have problems now and then. When you get the heebee geebees (otherwise known as wanting to crawl out of your skin), there is nothing that will help, except sheer determination. And, even then, there are times I have to just give up.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with trying out a medication. To me, use anything that works. Ritalin is over prescribed in the U.S. No doubt about it. But, when I think back on all the poor teachers that had to put up with my obnoxious son (not to mention me), I wonder if putting him through a regimen of chemicals might have helped him and made everyone's life a little easier. He only deals well with it now, because he's learned to compensate as an adult. He never admitted to me he couldn't read a book until he was in his mid 20's. I now think of all the wonderful books he's missed out on in his life. If he had been taking a drug for the ADD, things might have been different for him. Now, he just listens to audio books. But, those are pretty limited to only certain books.

So, I would say if there is a new drug out there that might be able to help, go for it. And, let us know how you do on it. Maybe some of us might want to try it.

Palehorse Redivivus Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekiel
    However one thing that is very important. Some kids get wrongly labeled with adhd. And that may as you say be mostly due to wrong parenting, or a chaotic atmsophere in the home. But some kids really do have adhd. And I am not saying medication is the only solution. But with these kids there really is a chemical unbalance. And not medicating, or at least coming up with some sort of treatment would be very wrong against the child.
    I have theorized that ADD could be, at least in large part, what happens when you try to crowbar creative, intelligent or otherwise "out of the ordinary" minds into a school system that was designed with the industrial revolution in mind, to encourage conformity and for the most part discourage questioning and critical thought. I particularly remember taking some ADD diagnosis quizzes online and reading other info, and there were a lot of traits it brought up that were eerily familiar, and I never would've thought to be related to this disorder -- such as issues with obeying authority. Anyway, I don't think it's just the school system; there are probably a lot of potential causes, but I do think there's good reason to believe this all ties in.

But yeah, I too am torn on the idea of medicating kids for these sorts of things. It's definitely overprescribed in this country, and all too often used just to make the kids more docile for the sake of the teachers and parents. But at the same time, after working with a lot of these kids myself, there are some who literally can't focus, can't sit still, can't coexist without it. So, IMO, when it becomes a matter of the individual not being able to get anything done, probably keeping others from getting anything done, and sometimes even becoming a safety issue, then there comes a point at which medication can probably be considered a legitimate and viable option. All the same, my overall thought in the matter is that medication should be seen as a tool, rather than a solution in itself.

In my case there is no doubt that the chaos in my mind, the unability to focus has something to do with chemical unbalance. I even thought once that I might have some serious neg attatchements that adds to the confusion. However I have decided for the good of my social life (unemployment, relationship issues etc) that a new round of medication is in order. If not a permanent solution then at least to get my bearing again. I used ritalin for one and half year last time, and to good effect. Then in the end I got some bad effects of it. I wont go into those details here.
    Right on; I'll be interested in hearing how things unfold for you, as well as any insight or further tools and approaches you come up with.

I use the BWgen to good effect. And will try the milestone approach you speak off. Try to come up with a reward system for myself. Hehe.
    Lol, eeeexcellent. One thing that came to mind after I posted is that I threw out kind of a lot of different approaches in no particular order... and that might be an ADD kid's worst nightmare. I know with me, I started out not having any idea what the real problem was, let alone what to do about it. In that sense, having an actual diagnosis to work with helped me out a lot in figuring out my approach. Even still, since I dispensed with the more "traditional" options and tried to sort it out on my own, I wasn't very efficient about it, due to the tendency to jump from one approach to another without really knowing if I was accomplishing anything. I didn't have any kind of plan or direction other than "try everything I can possibly come up with until something starts working." If I could do it over again from the beginning I would recommend taking the tools you feel might work for you, and setting up some kind of official weekly regimen for yourself, on paper, posted somewhere that you'll be reminded to do it every day. That way you have something concrete to follow, and can keep track of progress to help with morale. Even having another person around who's willing to remind you and work with you on it, or even someone you can partner with who's working on the same issues, would probably help a lot; I just didn't have that. And I'm horrible at sticking to regimens.

But I've babbled on enough, so for now I leave you with the ADD themesong that I and a friend decided we needed at one point.

"We are the kids with ADD, scattered and unfocused are we, and... HEY A SQUIRREL!"

Tempestinateapot Guest
    So, IMO, when it becomes a matter of the individual not being able to get anything done, probably keeping others from getting anything done, and sometimes even becoming a safety issue
    Hey, you just described my son!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2