I'll be quoting from one of the Seth books. I, personally, think that much of what is said in these quotes is true. I'm sharing because I find it really useful information, particularly for those who might fear death, or for those who have a desire to skip past much of the illusions we can trap ourselves in after death and therefore get on with creating our new existence. Feel free to debate, but I won't be participating in any "debates", as I'm comfortable with this knowledge. I might make some comments in regards to the material. There is a lot of info, so I'll be posting a number of different times.

Seth speaks about a "time of choosing", which is that time when we have evolved past earthly illusions and the desire to stay within the earth's particular system. At that point, we have many options open to us, and it's all based on our choice. All of the quotes are from the book, "Seth Speaks, The Eternal Validity of the Soul", by Jane Roberts. In each quote, it is the disembodied entity, Seth, who is speaking by means of channeling through Jane Roberts.
__________________________________________________ _____

"This is the time you perceive as death. What you want to know, therefore, is what happens when your consciousness is directed away from physical reality, and when, mometarily, it seems to have no image to wear.

Quite practicually speaking, there is no one answer, for each of you is an individual. Generally speaking, of course, there is an answer that will serve to cover main issues of this experience, but the kinds of deaths have much to do with the experience that consciousness undergoes. Also involved is the development of the consciousness itself and it's over-all characteristic method of handling experience.

The ideas that you have involving the nature of reality will strongly color your experiences, for you will interpret them in the light of your beliefs, even as now you interpret daily life according to your ideas of what is possible or not possible.

The fear of death itself can cause such a psychological panic that out of a sense of self-preservation and defense you lower your consciousness so that you are in a state of coma, and you may take some time to recover.

A belief in hell fires can cause you to hallucinate Hade's conditions. A belief in a sterotypical heaven can result in a hallucination of heavenly conditions. You always form your own reality according to your ideas and expectations. This is the nature of consciousness in whatever reality it finds itself. Such hallucinations, I assure you, are temporary.

Consciousness must use it's abilities. The boredom and stagnation of a sterotypical heaven will not for long content the striving consciousness. There are teachers to explain the conditions and circumstances. You are not left alone, therefore, lost in mazes of hallucination. You may or may not realize immediately that you are dead in physical terms.

Experiences with projection of consciousness and knowledge of the mobility of consciousness, are therefore very helpful as preparations for death. You can experience the after-death environment beforehand, and learn the conditions that will be encountered. (pages 119 and 120)

Now, for those of you who are lazy, I can offer no hope. Death will not bring you an eternal resting place. You may rest, if you wish, for a while. Not only must you use your abilities after death, however, but you must face up to yourself for those that you did not use during your previous existence.

Now, you may or may not be greeted by friends or relatives immediately following death. This is a personal matter, as always. Overall, you may be far more interested in people that you have known in past lives than those close to you in the present one, for example. (page 121)

You do not pretend to love a parent who did little to earn your respect or love. Telepathy operates without distortion in this after-death period, so you must deal with the true relationships that exist between yourself and all relatives and friends who await you. You will not automatically be wise if you were not so before, but neither will there be a way to hide from your own feelings, emotions, or motives. Whether or not you accept inferior motives in yourself or learn from them is still up to you. The opportunities for growth and development are very rich.

You examine the fabric of the existence that you have left, and you learn how to understand your experiences were the result of your own thoughts and emotions and how these affected others. Until this examination is through, you are not yet aware of the larger portions of your identity. When you realize the significance and meaning of the life you have just left, then you are ready for conscious knowledge of your other existences.

You become aware, then, of an expanded awareness. What you are begins to include what you have been in other lives, and you begin to make plans for your next physical existence, if you decide upon one. You can instead enter another level of reality, and then return to a physical existence if you choose." (page 122)

A teaser for the next post...

"The time of choosing is dependent upon the condition and circumstances of the individual following transition from physical life. Some take longer than others to understand the true situation.

Others must be divested of many impeding ideas and symbols. The time of choosing may happen almost immediately, in your terms, or it may be put off for a much longer period while training is carried on. The main impediments standing in the way of the time of choosing are, of course, the faulty ideas harbored by any given individual." (pages 158, 159)