Quote Originally Posted by Sapient
In your minds (the ones that astro project alot) is this proof for you that there is life after death?
Hard proof is repeatable. Its the basis of the scientific method. Objectivity is the seat of all our understanding of the physical world. Ofcourse, its a half-truth. Quantum mechanics tells us that at the very basic level, as far as we can probe into the structure of the universe, we influence our results in the simple act of observing. In the end, everything is subjective, it all comes down to how easily those observations can be brought back to an objective center.

Physicists took nearly 50 years to finally realize that the universe is nonsense, and that everything is just probabilities. Which, ofcourse, goes against what we experience everyday. A car going down the road isn't hear and there at the same time. It has both direction and position, despite what the quantum mechanical explaination on which all its matter and energy is based.

What it all comes down to is that, you can never convince a sceptic. I know, because I am one. As a scientist, I will never convince my colegues that quantum mechanics tells right form the get go that it is either a) funamentaly wrong, however accurate it is or b) proof of that our objective, absolute, imperical, process called the scientific method leads us to a subjective understanding of reality.

I could also point to the several simple proofs in mathematics, where even the simplest behavior is unprovable by sheer logic. The quantum mechanical theory and those mathematical proofs all tell us that our methods are at least limited and possibly flawed, however effective they may be.