Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SHINY, DAMP ELEPHANTS interpretation?

sono Guest

SHINY, DAMP ELEPHANTS interpretation?

Does anyone have an insight into a herd of furious, huge, black, damply- glistening elephants, which completely flattened my log cabin one night (in a dream, btw!) I was terrified, rushed about looking for a place to hide. Weirdly, the upper storey of this cabin did not collapse, although the lower part did. Finally, I went round the side & found the elephants had simply gone away, leaving several injured big cats nearby.

This dream has really depressed me; has made me stop short & draw back from my well-underway plans to go & teach English in Korea. I tend to see it as a warning that the structure & basis of my present life could collapse under outside "attack". . . I've googled elephants, but can't quite relate to what is suggested & would appreciate any nudges here!

Namaste

Blog Entries
    If the elephant was wild or untamed, than it indicates tyranny and uncontrollable forces.[...]

To see many elephants in your dream, symbolizes tremendous prosperity, strength, power, memory, and intellect.
    (from http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/searchc...search=elefant)

Generally, cats are symbolic of feminine power and independence.
    (from http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/dreamba...header=dreamid)

How did you feel about the cats. What did they look like? What do you feel in relation to cats generally? Do you like cats?

You mention that the elefants may have trampled the ground floor, but the upper story is still there. So while the fundaments of your life are "run over", something remains the same.

Seems like a big change leaves you bewildered. Big change that is. Elefant-size.

Oliver

sono Guest
    Thanks again! About cats, I adore them, (2 usually sleep on my head!) & one of them really seems to help me to get o/o body when she consents to share my bed. (I have read that the elemental of the cat is, in fact, known to assist in astral projection)

I agree about the elephants; & it just ocurred to me that they could symbolise rumours of dog farms (dogs destined to be eaten!) in that country, which stunned me with horror the day before the dream.. . .apparently cats also suffer terribly there. I think it's a clear sign not to go after all. Extra money doesn't justify it for me.

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. The cruel slaughtering of dogs was a big topic back when the Soccer World Championship of 2002 was held there (and in Japan, IIRC). Other customs come to mind, like using scissors to cut off the tentacles of living squids right into the wok.

This is not to bash Korea, who is surely a very interesting country, but I can understand your concerns. Dogs and men share a co-evolution that started 100,000 years ago. The yelp of a dog still can make me shiver to the bone. To us they are "not just dogs" and we not only "another animal". In some ways dogs appear to us as partially human, and dogs accept us as dogs.

The part of the entry I did not copy might be interesting:

To see an elephant in your dream, signifies that you are laying a solid groundwork for wealth and success. [...]
    To see many elephants in your dream, symbolizes tremendous prosperity, strength, power, memory, and intellect.
    Maybe, this new prosperity is not worth it, shakes your foundation, may be appealing to your "upper story" (= mind) but devastating to the "ground story" (=gut). Something that destroys your home (which strongly relates to you) and hurts cats (which you say you love) may not be the best omen.

I'm sure it could intellectually quite a great and rewarding challenge, and perhaps earn you some good money, too, though. Still, go with what your gut says you, or your heart.

Oliver

sono Guest
    Yes, you've really hit the nail on the thumb (sic!) in your reply. I would have loved to experience an ancient culture like that, but intentional cruelty to any form of living being is anathema to me, I do not eat any sentient creatures, including octopus or shell fish, & try to live in accordance with the adage "First do no harm" on all levels.

Blog Entries
    Yes, for me, too. It took some time to bring my life into accordance with that feeling as well. (becoming vegetarian that is)

Oliver

stargazer Guest
    Not only do they chop 'em into the wok, but they serve them still wiggling as a treat at traditional bars, the way American bars put out a bowl of pretzels. I tried it once but it wasn't really for me. Most of the Korean diet however is very vegetable oriented and you can live quite well on the diet without ever seeing meat. Avoid restaurants in Korea advertising things like "special meat" or "summer meat." (generally only saw those in out of the way places) Things won't be outwardly advertised as dogmeat but I found restaurant owners were pretty upfront when asked about a dish.

sono, house dreams are interesting and I do like the interpretation that they are representative of our state of mind... main floor = conscious, basement = subconscious, etc... also one might consider a house to be representative of one's place in time, basement = past, current floor = present, upstairs = future. Elephants suggests to me, possible issues (that saying "the elephant in the living room") that take up a lot of room in our lives; a herd of dark elephants suggesting that possibly while your current life might experience a lot of stress and destruction even to gain more exciting memories and prosperity, it leaves finer sensibilities or feelings (the cats) trampled on, but ultimately your higher goals and aspirations will be left intact.

Still, sounds like a good warning about this direction.

sono Guest
    Thanks, Stargazer, & I do think you're right about the warning aspect here. I find it so sad that there is so little respect for other life forms, even among people who seem to be "spiritual", charming & kind. I think I'll curb my eternal Wanderlust for a while here (it's tough being a stationary Saggittarian!)

(it's tough being a stationary Saggittarian!)
    Amen!

Blog Entries
    I read the description of Sagittarius here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagitta...28astrology%29.

And thought, such a long and well-written article, how nice.

And then I found Scorpio is much shorter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpio_%28astrology%29

Also the first famous Scorpio listed is "Ol' Dirty Bastard".

Nuff said.

Oliver