Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Out-of-Body Experiences Simulated" - with link in

Shannanigans Guest
    hmmm

I don't really see the significance of this experiment. It seems like they were simply creating an optical illusion, something that often tricks people

We played a game when we were kids, where one would lay on the ground face down, eyes closed, arms stretched in front of them. The other would grab their arms and lift them off the ground to the point where their back was arched but the head hung down. As they slowly lowered your arms, it eventually felt as if you were being lowered even lower than the floor you were laying on. When you would open your eyes you were often still a ways from the floor. Same kind of experiment, but cheaper!

Blog Entries
    Don't tell anyone or they do not get any further money for research!

Oliver

Shannanigans Guest
    Maybe I should apply for that funding!!

orbit1 Guest
    I actually thought it was a cool article. I don't think they were trying to disprove or belittle anyone's OBE experiences. They were just showing that the perception of "self" isn't always tied to the physical body, which, if anything, supports OBE - even if this was only "virtual". I didn't see where it said "They reproduce the illusion" as Korpo writes, but even if they don't believe OBEs are real, this article does nothing to convince me of that, nor do I feel it was their intention.

I also don't think that by showing the "mind can be tricked" that they are trying to say OBEs are simply tricks of the mind. This past Thursday, my mind was tricked into thinking it was Wednesday. That does not mean that Wednesdays aren't real!

kiwibonga Guest
    I can't seem to find either a personal page or an email address for that Dr. Ehrsson, or even the study itself...

I would have liked to see it... I can't believe a real scientist would draw conclusions from something this irrelevant... The whole connection to OBEs is baseless, even if OBEs turn out to be purely brain farts!

Can't even write him to ask how he sleeps at night :p

Zante Guest
    Any of you who saw the actual program (it appeared on BBC news if I recall correctly) will have heard one of the researchers detailing an experience she had as a child. While listening to some music she 'dropped out of her body' and could see the entire room, along with her friend. She could speak to her normally (this is called the mind split effect) and describe what she was seeing. She went on to say that eventually, when above her house, she could see everything in perfect detail and went on to fly over the area and the sea at high speed.

You didn't see that written in the article eh?

They haven't recreated anything here. This is a waste of time. Anyone who has experienced autoscopy before will tell you now that this little trick has nothing to do with anything.

Articles with the title "OBE EXPLAINED" appear every day yet they offer nothing. I never thought I'd say this next bit but it seems that materialist scientists are clutching at straws here.

I don't care if the experience is subjective or not, I'm just telling you now that this 'experiment' (more like an art project) is failing to take into account the rest of the 90% that happens during these experiences.

Let's not be naive. The purpose of the way this insipid and meaningless study has been bandied about on every major news source is to discount out-of-body experiences, period. There are so many more important things going on in the world and they choose this steaming load. If "science news" was actually about informing people instead of manipulating them you would hear about Robert Bruce's and other's amazing work on the news.

Zante Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mage
    Let's not be naive. The purpose of the way this insipid and meaningless study has been bandied about on every major news source is to discount out-of-body experiences, period. There are so many more important things going on in the world and they choose this steaming load. If "science news" was actually about informing people instead of manipulating them you would hear about Robert Bruce's and other's amazing work on the news.
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but it certainly looks that way. Either that or they're so pig ignorant that they choose to ignore everything.

blowk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwibonga
    I can't seem to find either a personal page or an email address for that Dr. Ehrsson, or even the study itself...
    This should help you find it http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0708/07082305. Also http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=4329 ... wsdep=4329.

Ehrsson was a researcher at the university I went to at the time of the research, and now is back in Stockholm. Email address is henrik.ehrsson@ki.se.

You find the article in the latest edition of Science.

Regards

kiwibonga Guest
    Thanks... So he didn't actually release any studies yet, just had some journalist from Science interview him?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast