TheCusp, your experience brings to mind a feeling I get from time to time... I'll be lying in bed and suddenly feel as if I'm very flat like a board, yet at the same time that same kind of "big / velvety / fuzzy" feeling you mentioned. If there's moonlight in the room, I feel as if I'm just a big flat board that's just sooooooooooooooaking up that energy. There seems to be a lunar relationship, in that I am more prone to being in this state in a good visible full moon.

Velvety / soft / odd feelings are from what I have been told, feelings of good strong chi flow, seems to be more of a soft feminine yin type of energy flow than a sharper electric yang kind of flow perhaps as people might experience when they have kundalini spikes. My acupuncturist told me that that "soft ocean" feeling in the middle of the body was an extremely good sign of good chi flow.

If I would wager a guess, I would say that those odd velvety moments are times when we are extremely open and receptive to the absorption of "water"/"air" frequences of energies that we normally absorb through the hands, mouth, head, etc but not anywhere near as noticeable. The current is flowing good and strong. I feel like some kind of moonlight lily plant, with my little leaves wide open, soaking up the moonlight rays. It's a strange and glorious feeling and only occurs "once in a blue moon."

I think it sounds like a good thing, no matter what it is.