Thread: Hulk is coded story about OBE's........

mrryjos Guest

Hulk is coded story about OBE's........

I know so many people couldn't handle this movie, and I don't care. For all it's flaws I think it's ambition is pretty extraordinary. Anyway, all that aside, I can't seem to shake the sense that it could be a story about OBE's.
    I'm not deadly serious, but then again, maybe I am........

Recently I read the book based on the movie. It was nice enough, but it never crossed my mind that it was about anything at all. More details, please?

mrryjos Guest
    Well I'm no fanboy of any version of the Hulk / Hulk, though I do enjoy the odd browse in the early Marvel incarnations, and am also of the generation that sat through the T.V. series as a child - can any non-fanboy actually remember much beyond the admittedly iconic opening and closing credits? Was it actually any good? In general though I would love to see a great superhero movie that isn't just a series of mindless explosions (most of them) or deeply po-faced and pretentious (X-men).

With risk of sounding heavy handed, aren't most 'superpowers' just fantasy equivalents to the kind of powers latent in us that we're all chatting about in these forums? Before Superheroes it was Knights, who were always surrounded by supernatural creatures or being put under spells. And before them the Greek Heroes, most of whom were half human and half god, another image of the mortal who has access to their 'psychic' side.... I actually don't think this is so far fetched, though challenge me of course if you think it sounds nonsense (and forgive me if this is getting long winded...)
    Anyway, this is definitely what Hulk is about, unsurprisingly if you look at 'Crouching Tiger...' ANOTHER movie about superpowers! In HULK Ang Lee really goes for it, though, I think. I'm not entirely serious about the OBE thing, but look at what Hulk's powers are, and the movie is pretty upfront in its tackling of human beings feeling trapped by (as they see it) the limitations of living as an ordianry human being, and then finding ways of unleashing another side of themselves that has been sleeping in them all along. And then becoming addicted to the sheer freedom they experience when this happens, because ordinary material restrictions of time and space no longer apply giving FREEDOM. I won't go over the top, but check it out - indeed the Nick Nolte character voices some pretty full on ideas about what you could see as the psychic evolution of man. Anyway, see what you think, but it's certainly ABOUT something! In fact, that's why I think it received such a vitriolic press. No one I've ever read or spoken to about it sits on the fence - everyone either loved it or hated it. And I'll grant that there are hefty flaws in it, and sometimes Hulk looks cheesy, but the response was weirdly out of proportion. Plenty of people talked about it with the kind of dismissive mocking tone normally reserved for people who admit to an interest in astrology! It got under people's skins. Ahead of its time? I reckon so. Surprisingly thought provoking? I think so. A Hollywood movie that actually tackles some big issues? Well, yes I reckon so too.........

Quantitativefool Guest
    I've...never...thought that before....that brought back...horrible memories....

kmD Guest
    lol i think your grasping a bit. of course, with any fiction there are multiple interpretations.
    let me start by saying Im a fanboy extrodinaire. Ive been collecting comics since i was 8. and hulk is one of the storys i relate to most.

Hulk, to me, is about mostly about controlling your base emotions. Our animal side has unabashed emotion. Anger, rage, fascination, love...the less cerebral of emotions.
    Bruce Banner is a cerebral guy who is control of these emotions, so much so that he cant show unabashed love for Betty, even though he wants to. His control over these emotions is too great. And so, when he transforms into the Hulk these emotions are what comes through. Hulk is dumb yet doesnt hide his emotion, Bruce is smart yet hides all his true emotion. Each part of the man defeats itself.
    The moral of the story, is balance. Although its not smart to go around showing your true emotions to everyone, its dumb to deny these emotions at every turn as well.
    Plus, Bruce doesnt see himself as a "Superpower" and feels the Hulk is more of a curse.

As far as the Ang Lee connection, "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" wasnt about superpowers either. The people in this movie had the benefit of generations of trained masters in their arts. They knew the body housed tremendous amounts of energy, or chi, and were able to channel it through strict training and living. Although exageratted for hollywood purposes, i do beleive these masters of chi existed, and their knowledge of this practice has been lost throughout the years.

Mr. Burns Guest
    Lou Ferrengo as magic dispensing god, brilliant! Gwarrrrrr!