Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mindfulness Issues

wer Guest

Mindfulness Issues

Lately, for unknown reasons, my mindfulness has been very poor. Its like I've been acting on auto-pilot or something. Its been affecting my memory and concentration. I used to be very mindful, but for some reason I just lost it. Lately I have been dealing with stress due to a lowered confidence in myself, and various other issues. What could be the problem here? What do you guys suggest I do to improve my mindfulness?

Its been very troubling :cry:

Re: Mindfulness Issues

That is SO not enough information to tell you something useful.

wer Guest

What information do you need?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wer
    Lately, for unknown reasons, my mindfulness has been very poor. Its like I've been acting on auto-pilot or something. Its been affecting my memory and concentration. I used to be very mindful, but for some reason I just lost it. Lately I have been dealing with stress due to a lowered confidence in myself, and various other issues. What could be the problem here? What do you guys suggest I do to improve my mindfulness?

Its been very troubling :cry:
    To start with, what do you consider mindfulness to be?
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

You said it yourself that you are currently mindful of many things right now: being on auto-pilot, memory and concentration difficulties, stress, low confidence, whatever various issues means, that you are not happy with recent changes, that you want things to be more like the way they used to be, and that it is possible you can get answers here. Mindfulness means being aware of what you are experiencing while you are experiencing it. If your mindfulness were not functioning you would not even be aware of having difficulties. Oddly enough this is how a lot of people coast through their days.

Blog Entries

I agree with Tom wholeheartedly - mindfulness is not to be mixed up with happiness. It is being aware of the condition you are in. As your mindfulness deepens, you may become aware of a lot of stuff that is not to your liking but that is there and will need to resolve over time. As long as you can observe the processes that work within you, as long as your mind can retain awareness of itself, you are mindful.

Would you supply more information on what you think your problem is?

Take good care,
    Oliver

Hibby Guest

I think i get what you mean, there was this period when i was surprised i could not remember things that i've done during the day, the day before or even days during the week. I think when you mentioned mindfulness, i assume you're talking about the state of being alert and awareness?

I can relate auto-pilot to being mentally disconnected from your environment to kind of ease the pain. In your case the pain caused by stress and lack of confidence. I'm pretty sure that when you're on auto-pilot you don't focus on what's happening around you and that leads to the lack of memory. The lack of concentration is really just the lack of willingness to suppress annoyance and this lack of will, i believe is caused by dimming of you're inspiration/goals because it just looks like they're getting further and further away, and the further these goals are the less confidence you have in yourself. It is a downward spiral.

I don't really have any ideas on how to help you because essentially this is a journey to finding your own identity. once you do that you will begin to have more self-confidence and get back on track to your goals. I don't know if what i'm saying is right, maybe it's alot more simple than what i have in mind.

wer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby
    I think i get what you mean, there was this period when i was surprised i could not remember things that i've done during the day, the day before or even days during the week. I think when you mentioned mindfulness, i assume you're talking about the state of being alert and awareness?

I can relate auto-pilot to being mentally disconnected from your environment to kind of ease the pain. In your case the pain caused by stress and lack of confidence. I'm pretty sure that when you're on auto-pilot you don't focus on what's happening around you and that leads to the lack of memory. The lack of concentration is really just the lack of willingness to suppress annoyance and this lack of will, i believe is caused by dimming of you're inspiration/goals because it just looks like they're getting further and further away, and the further these goals are the less confidence you have in yourself. It is a downward spiral.

I don't really have any ideas on how to help you because essentially this is a journey to finding your own identity. once you do that you will begin to have more self-confidence and get back on track to your goals. I don't know if what i'm saying is right, maybe it's alot more simple than what i have in mind.
    You nailed it. That is exactly what I meant. When I said "mindfulness", I was implying the state of being alert and aware of what is going on around you.

I think I'm overcoming my problem. Despite the stress I'm dealing with, I have to force myself to pay attention to everything I'm doing, and process everything I do before I do it. Thank you for the insight

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how old were you during this period of memory lapse?

Hibby Guest

I don't really know when it started but i'd say it happened within the last 12 months, i only recently recovered about 3-4 months ago. i'm not sure whether it was because this stopped happening that i was further able to discover myself or the fact that i was discovering myself that led to me getting out of it. I kind of suddenly realised i was remembering most of the things i did. Btw i'm 18 this year - still in high school.

Because of the lack of memory i had in this period i really have no idea how i got out of it. I'm kind of just blind guessing here.
    There was a time when i just thought, "okay, i'm going to focus on what i'm doing and remember it".
    i think its being aware that we aren't aware and as a result we start to be more aware, or any combination of things.

anyway its good to hear that you'd overcoming it, it may take alot of willpower to get out of it so it might feel like a swing at times - sometimes you're going forward and sometimes you're going backwards to save momentum.

If you feel the stress is overcoming you maybe you'll have to step back to see how small the problem is in face of the greater goals, although it doesn't solve the problem and may or may not be beneficial to solving that problem (stress stops your brain from functioning properly to solve the problem and not being able to solve that problem brings about more stress) it'll allow you to see how you've reacted to the problem and whether it's worth the stress/willpower you're putting into it. Stress does kill brain cells after all and brain cells are non-regeneratable so it maybe wise to take good care of the little buggers rather than let them die over a simple problem.

The more i think about it the more i get confused, when i first got out of it my memory was as clear as crystal but now i'm not so sure any more. I'm also starting to think it's a cycle that's happened throughout my life but never as strong as it was this time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby
    Stress does kill brain cells after all
    That would be news to me...?

Stress is a natural functioning of your body. It is just your fight/flight catching on. Why should a natural process kill brain cells? You function differently, you use up your energy reserves, you cannot think as clear, precise and openly, but I never heard that it kills brain cells. That's usually the result of suffocation or poisoning, at least I thought so.

Oliver