Quote Originally Posted by Steve
However, there is no feedback when one attempts to project their awareness outside of the body and I'm uncertain how to fix this.

Suggestions? Thanks much.
Actually, most of the meditative work associated with binaurals (and just plain meditation and trance work) is about learning how to recognize the trance state. There is feedback if you learn how to tell how the deep trance state feels.
There can be obvious symptoms (like vibrations, feeling dizzy/floaty, visual hypnagogic imagery, remote viewing episodes, and/or astral sight, auditory hypnagogics ranging from astral noise to actual voices,) but there can also be just a slight feeling of being 'different', and this is what you want to work towards. The recognition of the deep trance state, since feedback is ever-changing.
That's why I always recommend after trance work and energy body loosening, to cultivate the observer state, engage in what is called 'noticing', and make it part of the projection attempt. For more information of what the noticing state is, go to the post entitled "How to phase or phasing made simple", in the OBE Research and Discussions thread, and you'll see it described. (It's a stickied thread.)

There is an exercise I like to do when I don't have enough time for a full projection but enough time to reach trance, and is to get me to the 'falling asleep' state, and as soon as I get any feeling of weirdness/change I wake myself up and do it again repeatedly- this trains you to familiarize yourself with it. When you do this enough times you can get the feel of slipping into trance, which is very helpful when you want to take it all the way.