Quote Originally Posted by Korpo
Is it really wise to use words as "destroy", do you think? I mean, this is referring to parts of you. Your belief system might do a job of protecting you right now - keeping in check things with your reality filter that might be too much. I think we can remove pieces one at a time and have wonderful experiences, and grow, and do it again, but "destroy"? Sounds like a guy with an axe.
I think you make a good point here - maybe "destroy" was too strong a word. But what do you suggest instead? What I intend to do is clear out all of the "debris" floating around in there - I'm not too concerned with what that process is called, but with how to do that effectively. I welcome any and all suggestions on how to clean house in my belief system.
Quote Originally Posted by Hastor
A belief systm in its purest form is quite malliable and shifts and changes. This allows for there to be a shifting view of reality
and a steadily correcting view of the way life is.
That makes sense - but is there a convenient way to change your belief system consciously, i.e. examining it and seeing what it's made up of, and then throwing out stuff you don't want or tweaking it?
Religon can be characterized by what IS wrong and what IS right while a belief
system only assumes and idea percieved from an individual view.
What about belief systems initially built around religion (i.e. being brought up with some extent of religious dogma) - I've pretty much shunned the religious, Christian aspect of my belief system, but I figure it's still in there. As I said above, I've shifted my world-view several times, and it's probably still in flux at the moment. I guess what I want is some catharsis for my belief system, to clear out what is irrelevant to me now.
I hoped this helped, if it doesn't you can ask me or ignore what ive said. It just feels better to have finally contributed to this
conversation about belief. Thank you.
Sorry I hijacked the thread... we're all glad you contributed!

Andy