Thread: Control one's own death?

sono Guest

Control one's own death?

I wonder if we can control the process of our own death? Instead of going through various probably not-so- pleasant phases of physically dying, could one just astral project & wait for the cord to disintegrate? Or is it more complex than that?

Re: Control one's own death?

Obviously I don't know how it really works, but I can say from all the past life regressions I've done (over 40) that I always watched the death from outside of the body. I think when it really is our time to go we know and our spirit is already outta there.

yeah, i heard/read an interview with a seasoned projector recently, who says she was helping people from an accident site to leave, before their physical bodies were actually dead.

also, this brings to mind Carlos Castaneda's account of the moment when Don Juan leaves the physical life, simply becoming his "light" self an floating off...(it's been many years since i read it, i hope that's accurate)
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

sono Guest

Thanks for interesting replies! I recently had a semi-lucid astral experience of telling some men who had apparently been "executed" by a gang while sitting at a table, to "go on up into the Light". One of them drifted off (& so did I). . . . . . . wish I had more control!

Quote Originally Posted by sono
    I wonder if we can control the process of our own death? Instead of going through various probably not-so- pleasant phases of physically dying, could one just astral project & wait for the cord to disintegrate? Or is it more complex than that?
    Can we control the process of our death, certainly to a large degree.

There are numerous reports of people simply sitting/laying down and successfully declaring their own death. Clearly, suicide can shorten your life (with consequences but effective). Also there are numerous reports of people hanging on for some purpose: save an army buddy, say good by to their children, etc. Proper or improper health maintenance clearly has an effect, as does protection and safe behavior. I hope this paints a picture.

As to your schemes, not so effective. First the cord is extremely hard to cut. Directly causing death of the physical body is easier. Second, as to waiting it out after OBE; if your physical body gets in too bad o shape, if can no longer supply the necessary energy to support the projection, and you will return (reintegrate) automatically.

So, if you find it necessary to check-out now, don't try to make it all complicated by going OBE first. Its not an easy way out.
    Sin nada (Nothing is impossible)

Timotheus Guest

sono Guest

Very interesting, thanks for the replies!

BTW wstein, I am not actually contemplating suicide, just wonder if on one's death bed, one can make the transition consciously & more easily, under one's control so to speak. . . . .

I have also heard of many yogis & saints who decided to leave the body at a certain time, & have done so . . it just doesn't seem that possible for an ordinary person (like myself) to plan properly for a smooth transition, in full awareness.

PS: I certainly don't mean to be morbid with this thread, hope no-one read it that way!

BTW wstein, I am not actually contemplating suicide, just wonder if on one's death bed, one can make the transition consciously & more easily, under one's control so to speak. . . . .
    It seemed like you were looking for an easy way out.

I have also heard of many yogis & saints who decided to leave the body at a certain time, & have done so . . it just doesn't seem that possible for an ordinary person (like myself) to plan properly for a smooth transition, in full awareness.
    Properly?? With full awareness, perhaps not. However, the more you can become aware of the non-physical, the simpler the transition becomes. Even if you could only get 20% towards full awareness, wouldn't it be worth it? If you wait until you are almost dead, then its probably too late to have much impact.

BTW This is the very subject of the 'Tibetan Book of the Dead', perhaps worth a read. There are several decent English translations with good commentary.
    Sin nada (Nothing is impossible)

Quote Originally Posted by wstein
    It seemed like you were looking for an easy way out.
    I didn't get that impression at all.

Along the lines of what Tim said, my great-grandmother lived with my mother the last 5 years she was alive. She was in her late 80s when she decided she didn't want to be alive anymore. She told the family she was going to die.

Within 3 days she lost lucidity and her body began failing, despite having always had excellent health. The doctors could not find a reason for her condition.

She was only alive for 2 weeks after making the decision to go. But she spent that time in another place. After the 3rd day she began talking to people that we couldn't see. She spent most of her time there, happily, I might add. She smiled a lot during this time. She would only become lucid again to say goodby to another family member.

I was with her when she died and there was no doubt that she was already gone. Her body was still sucking in air and her heart was still pumping blood, but there was something completely absent about it. She seemed just like a flesh covered machine.