Thread: I asked for direction ...

I asked for direction ...

... and essentially got a brain-full, if that makes sense. I thought I'd share this (and yes, I haven't been around for a little bit, and I apologize. I usually like to browse the dream forum and will again soon). Any advice, extra interpretations or anything is appreciated while I try to set things straight. I'll include my interpretation as well.

I had a bad end to the day yesterday when it hit home that under a disillusion, I thought I had been improving myself socially when really I am still stuck in the same rut. A family member made a remark that got me upset to the point of tears. Yes, I should call more, but I always had trouble with that, calling people. The problem that I thought was getting better seems no different now. I am still suffering the sting from the remark, and am still depressed about it.

Last night, after all that, I decided to sleep it off. However, I cleared my mind, tried to encourage some clean energy and asked for help, aloud but softly. I actually begged for it. I admitted I had a problem and I needed guidance, and asked for help, answers, direction in my life. When I went to sleep, I eventually had a very long dream that I am quite sure I was aware throughout, but not necessarily in control in a lucid aspect.

I was in an empty street devoid of vehicles or even people. On the sides of the road were smaller (maybe halves of) skyscrapers, as if from a city long ago. They were scattered on the sides of the road, particularly the right, randomly and not on the road. They were crumbling, dirty, ruined. In the background behind I saw taller skyscrapers as if there were a city closeby, but no noise, and they too looked outdated and possibly ruined.

I had a dream brother I called Ross who led me to my supposed house. I still felt as though I was aware, for I kept wondering where I was and knew things weren't normally like this. In what I thought would be my room when I went upstairs was my dream sister, I didn't know her name, talking on the phone in her bed. She did not seem surprised to see me, like we were in fact related and she knew me. Downstairs were my dream parents, also not like my trueparents and not knowing their names either. I get a phone call and pick up my cell phone - it is a friend who begins to say how we were supposed to go somewhere but ... and then it disconnects. My phone will not work here (?)

We are to go to school. My sister comes downstairs. I ask about "Ross" but no ones listens, as if he doesn't exist and leads to me wonder about this. Ross stays seated in the living room and doesn't come with us. On the way to this school, my sister informs me in conversation that, "it isn't all about Intelligence, you know." She explains that, in this school, students are separated into categories. I am in Creativity, she tells (or reminds) me. When we get to the school, sheleaves me in the lobby. I don't know what her category was.

A boy walks up to me and hugs me. Confused, I feel awkward, knowing for sure this was not my (real true life) boyfriend. He assures me that he is my boyfriend and that I must have had a memory lapse. He tells me I get them often and he is used to it, and not to worry. He tells me he is categorized under Athletics, and I believe we walk on talking to each other.

Now, either I am informed by him of this or I find this out myself but ... I learn that the Me of this place / reality / time is missing, and until I find her I cannot leave. Essentially, I needed to find myself. Pretty blunt right?

So if you still read, I interpreted with the help of the symbols and things and basically, the ruined buildings are a perfect representation of my ruined social life at the moment. I am neglecting social relationships and my being lost suggests that I have, in fact, lost my way. The school setting and the mentioned categories may show my need to learn, or that I should be looking down the Creative side of things, for a directional start. The school is also where I learn my 'lesson' about needing to find myself.

So there's a symbolic, directional dream for you. Any advice is appreciated and thanks for reading this far!

Blog Entries

Re: I asked for direction ...

Just to add some further material for your consideration:

I was in an empty street devoid of vehicles or even people. On the sides of the road were smaller (maybe halves of) skyscrapers, as if from a city long ago. They were scattered on the sides of the road, particularly the right, randomly and not on the road. They were crumbling, dirty, ruined. In the background behind I saw taller skyscrapers as if there were a city closely, but no noise, and they too looked outdated and possibly ruined.
    This may suggest experiments with self-expression tried and abandoned. If you only see a half skyscraper, we’re talking “façade,” the expression we use for exterior appearance. Since the skyscrapers are tall but only facades, you may have put significant energy into trying to be something else but it didn’t go beyond appearance and it was never truly utilized. These edifices may also represent your rejection of past forms left to you as a kind of social inheritance, because they’re not right for you.

I had a dream brother I called Ross who led me to my supposed house. I still felt as though I was aware, for I kept wondering where I was and knew things weren't normally like this. In what I thought would be my room when I went upstairs was my dream sister, I didn't know her name, talking on the phone in her bed.
    Ross and your sister are self-aspects, trying to lead you to where you are “truly at home.” The name “Ross” means cliff. The brother represents you as an expressive, creative, protective being; the sister, your receptive and nurturing aspect (it is much the same for father and mother, respectively).

Going upstairs may be a sign of elevating consciousness or it can be a symbol of your habitual ways of thinking. The dream sister aspect can successfully communicate (talk on the phone) and I’d take her as a sign of your inner potential for successful social expression. You at least understand what is required intellectually.

She did not seem surprised to see me, like we were in fact related and she knew me.
    No, she wouldn’t be. She is you.

Downstairs were my dream parents, also not like my true parents and not knowing their names either. I get a phone call and pick up my cell phone - it is a friend who begins to say how we were supposed to go somewhere but ... and then it disconnects. My phone will not work here.
    This part of the dream may represent your trouble communicating with your parents or elders or feeling comfortable with the values and/or examples they’ve given you. You can’t express yourself/communicate their way. “Downstairs” may represent a non-intellectual, heart-based form of expression. So, while you get what they want of you intellectually, you don’t feel it.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

This may suggest experiments with self-expression tried and abandoned. If you only see a half skyscraper, we’re talking “façade,” the expression we use for exterior appearance. Since the skyscrapers are tall but only facades, you may have put significant energy into trying to be something else but it didn’t go beyond appearance and it was never truly utilized. These edifices may also represent your rejection of past forms left to you as a kind of social inheritance, because they’re not right for you.
    Thanks Beekeeper! I didn't see it that way when I was trying to figure this out, and it would make sense as the things I have tried to be and not been able to uphold.

Ross and your sister are self-aspects, trying to lead you to where you are “truly at home.” The name “Ross” means cliff. The brother represents you as an expressive, creative, protective being; the sister, your receptive and nurturing aspect (it is much the same for father and mother, respectively).

Going upstairs may be a sign of elevating consciousness or it can be a symbol of your habitual ways of thinking. The dream sister aspect can successfully communicate (talk on the phone) and I’d take her as a sign of your inner potential for successful social expression. You at least understand what is required intellectually.
    Yeah, I had almost forgotten about the aspects of self in a dream, and that is interesting about Ross' name! Originally I had just taken it as because I knew someone with the name from a weekly club, but I didn't think of looking to see what the name meant. And it is interesting that she could communicate on the phone and a moment later I could not. Thanks for catching that!

This part of the dream may represent your trouble communicating with your parents or elders or feeling comfortable with the values and/or examples they’ve given you. You can’t express yourself/communicate their way. “Downstairs” may represent a non-intellectual, heart-based form of expression. So, while you get what they want of you intellectually, you don’t feel it.
    I didn't know about the upstairs/downstairs symbolism and it sounds interesting and could be valid in this dream. And with as much as I want to admit about my relationship with my parents here, things could be easier to talk about heart-to-heart than they are, and I'll say that sadly, I sometimes don't feel I have the emotional bond I should have, like I lost it somehow a long time ago.

Wow Beekeeper, you completely just made this make even more sense! You're awesome!

Pneumaphor Guest

Well done, Beekeeper!