Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Fear

Fear of Fear

Hello everyone.

Sorry I'm new here so I don't know if this topic has been threaded to death.
    Well I would like some help to try and get my self thinking more positive
    thoughts. Every time I go into a lucid dream I am just doing my thing and
    having fun and then I think "Oh I hope this doesn't happen"
    and it is mostly something negative and then oh crap it happens and then
    I get scared and wake up. This happens every-time I lucid dream. What can I do to prevent this?
    I have tried not thinking of bad things but then I just think of them even more.
    Please help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Timm

Blog Entries

Re: Fear of Fear

A few comments and maybe an idea:
    When you say this happens when you lucid dream, you mean you are aware you are dreaming, right?
    If you know you are dreaming, then you should know you are safe. So why do you fear manifesting something negative, if you know it's not going to hurt you? Is it that you don't want to have the experience itself, or is it something more?

Even though when you lucid dream your consciousness is present, it is not always in charge. So, if your subconscious knows you have to get rid of your fears, experiencing them firsthand is the way to get rid of it, and your subconscious will follow this programming until you change your mind or reprogram it. But your subconscious is right- the only way to get rid of a fear is to face it, and then deal with it.

One thing that helped me years ago when I was going through a period of intense nightmares was to, before going to sleep, to imagine the worst nightmares that I could, think of every bad possibility, imagine and live it, (in other words experience it) before going to bed- and that stopped them from continuing.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Yes I am lucid when this happens and it is always something different. But if being more logical is the key how do I get more logical
    in my dreams? I just want to have a good time aye.

Cheers

Blog Entries

CF already explained the remedy, face your fears in your dreams. This is one reason why people see lucid dreaming as a spiritual path. It can help you develop because it can make you aware of what it is you actually do fear and by practising fearlessness in your dreams you gain competency in life. Additionally, learning to control your thinking can transform the way you act in life, making you aware of your many options and underlying motivations. So, it's not just about logic but also about courage and control.

Fun is okay too, of course.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
    CF already explained the remedy, face your fears in your dreams. This is one reason why people see lucid dreaming as a spiritual path. It can help you develop because it can make you aware of what it is you actually do fear and by practising fearlessness in your dreams you gain competency in life. Additionally, learning to control your thinking can transform the way you act in life, making you aware of your many options and underlying motivations. So, it's not just about logic but also about courage and control.

Fun is okay too, of course.
    I found this technique helpful in facing fears in life. Recently, I've had these weird 'episodes' of intense fear, mostly fear of dying. I had to get myself to embrace the situation and face what was scaring me so bad. It really helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timm
    Yes I am lucid when this happens and it is always something different. But if being more logical is the key how do I get more logical
    in my dreams? I just want to have a good time aye.

Cheers
    Hello, Timm.

The problem with "logic" is this - we keep on applying "real world logic" to the dream environment, so when something scary happens we get scared, and so on. We become unaware of the differences in what we're experiencing. We take the input we perceive and react in ways we know.

I once was recommended to keep on looking for synchronicities in waking life. Keeping an eye out for these little miracles trains the mind to think differently about waking reality, to think more in terms that are helpful when facing nonphysical reality. I was told this might help overcome problems with "logic" (or perceptual biases) in dreams.

Our understanding of waking reality and dream reality are related. That's similar to how the reality-checking test works. By developing a habit in waking life we can make use of it when dreaming. It works similar for our emotions and beliefs. By trying new beliefs on for size in waking reality, by exploring beyond what we think are givens in the waking life we also enrich our dream life.

Take care,
    Oliver

Hey Guys and Girls.

Thanks so much for the input. It is great to have people that help
    I had another lucid dream last night and found that when I was thinking
    about stuff that if I didn't really want it to happen it wouldn't.
    I also found that I was having so much fun that I only thought of something
    bad for a few seconds, then I blew it away with superpowers.

Just a few more things.

If
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
    So, it's not just about logic but also about courage and control.
    If thats the case, then how to I get better at controlling my thoughts?

Cheers so much,
    Timm

For me, sometimes the harder I try to quiet and supress, the worse it gets, like one of those chinese finger torture thingys, lol.

In some cases, it helps to shift into observer mode, letting the thoughts roll by like clouds. This shift can allow intellectural and emotional detachment from the content of the thoughts. But, there is a pitfall in constantly doing the detached thing, one can miss out on developing courage in the face of fear, which is, as I am discovering, a very necessary step to master.

Man, all over the road on this one... not sure if it's helpful at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Jambu
    For me, sometimes the harder I try to quiet and supress, the worse it gets, like one of those chinese finger torture thingys, lol.

In some cases, it helps to shift into observer mode, letting the thoughts roll by like clouds. This shift can allow intellectural and emotional detachment from the content of the thoughts. But, there is a pitfall in constantly doing the detached thing, one can miss out on developing courage in the face of fear, which is, as I am discovering, a very necessary step to master.

Man, all over the road on this one... not sure if it's helpful at all!
    Haha

Yeah I might just have to try to destroy all of my fears with supreme awesomeness.
    But while I was reading that lucid dreaming complete tutorial it said not to use
    Forced control

E.G

"Forced Control

Both of these sort of speak for themselves. Forced control involves directly forcing events and immediate happenings to occur in your dream, and passive control is less direct. With forced control, if I wanted to be somewhere, I could just spin around in a circle quickly (also called body spinning) which always makes the dream scene blurry. While you spin, think of the scene you want to see, and voila. You are there. This is a method of forced control because you are directly reshaping the environment to suit your needs or desires in a dream. There was no justification for doing it, you just know that you are the god of your universe and can do whatever you want. You can be talking to someone you hate in your lucid dream and just decide to have them suddenly die a gory and painful death. You can change the color and brightness of your environment directly. These are all forms of forced control. Forced control sounds fun doesn't it? It is. However, I HIGHLY advise that you absolutely never use forced control unless you find yourself in a critically horrifying dream from which you need to escape immediately.

This is because using direct control demonstrates to your mind that the world you are in is not realistic. As soon as it realizes this, it becomes less realistic. It appears less vivid, less clear, and you can't control them as easily. Overtime, your lucid dreams become completely lame and can change at random. Have you seen the movie "Click"? He keeps fast-forwarding moments of his life, so when a similar situation arises, the remote automatically fast-forwards. It is exactly the same with lucid dreams. If you force control upon your dreams, or directly alter them, you will find that in the future, they start to alter themselves, and you can't control it. Why is this? Because when you try to alter something in the dream directly and without justification, you are in a sense removing yourself from the dream, altering it, and then coming back into it. Forced control is something that should be used very very rarely, and only in extremely necessary circumstances. (And usually the extremely necessary circumstance never comes. I've never had to use it, and I anticipate you never will either.) AVOID forced control."

So how can I face my fears when I shouldn't use forced control?

The other option in the tutorial was the Passive control

E.G

"Passive Control

Passive control is the other type of control, and there are no negative consequences from this method. Passive control still gives you complete and total control over the dream. It's not as direct as forced control, which is why it's better to use. You can still "warp" to new scenery, or spawn people that you want to see, or conjure up some item you want, or use super powers, whatever. It's just about how you go about doing it that separates this method from forced control.

Let's say you wanted to have superpowers. You could just decide to have super powers, because you know this is a dream. That would be forced control. Any type of ability you use should never be a result of you "knowing that it is a dream". Taking that approach will show your mind that you do not appreciate the realism, and the realism will disappear. Always act as though you are in a real place. If you want to have super powers, create a reason, or justification for why you would have super powers at this very instant. I do so by deeming that the dreamstate is a realm. It is the "Realm of Wonders". Anything is possible in the Realm of Wonders, therefore you can have superpowers. That is a method of passive control. Do you understand the difference? I was changing something about the dream, but in an indirect way. Passively.

Want to conjure up/summon/make someone appear in your dreams? Not just anyone. Let's say someone specific. Maybe a love? There are several ways to do this. It would be of course very difficult to just make them appear before your eyes, and even if it was easy, that would be an example of forced control, which we want to avoid. My favorite method is to just think about what they look like, walk somewhere, and expect to see them running from behind the next corner. Remember that schemas are what power a lucid dream. Schemas are based on expectation. Because of the fact that the dreamstate is run by schemas, what you expect to see is ALWAYS what you will see. But you have to genuinely expect to see whatever you're trying to make appear. So if I expect to open a door and see my friend Kayla standing there, she WILL be standing there. If I approach a building corner, and expect to see my friend Steven just coming around the corner as I reach it, he will be there. Get the idea?"

I don't get how I can use passive control to face my fears.

Thanks for the tutorial Jared Jones

Blog Entries

Beekeeper wrote:
    So, it's not just about logic but also about courage and control.

If thats the case, then how to I get better at controlling my thoughts?
    The control and logic can work together. The first thing is to catch your thoughts and not just let them ramble along. Then challenge those thoughts that are fearful to determine if there is any real basis for them. If there is, then attempt to alleviate fear through being proactive rather than reactive.

We can't control everything that happens though, so we have to learn acceptance in some instances. Acceptance is sometimes easier for small annoyances and sometimes much harder for personal tragedies or bigger dramas with serious ramifications for our well-being. Again, we try to think these through with some objectivity but when they evoke intense emotion it's unlikely we'll just accept with perfect equanimity. That's when you accept the emotion as a valid part of who you are and an authentic response to what has occurred.

Fear is valid. We don't want to eliminate fear. What we want is to avoid being controlled by fear.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)