Thread: Sleep masks - healthy or only causing dependance?

Sleep masks - healthy or only causing dependance?

Dear Robert,

I've been pondering about this for a while. I've just read an article that long term ear plug wearers actually develop a harsh dependance on them, getting incredibly annoyed by little sounds and sleep being impossible for them without the earplugs.
    I do understand that it is best to be independant and I can sleep and meditate both in light and darkness, however I'm simply wondering if it is just more healthy to cover the eyes while resting. The eye even under closed lids apparently is more busy while light enters it. Is this a persistent strain or does this reduce as one goes into trance.
    I'm also wondering whether there are habitual dangers emerging from sleep masks such as a possibility of becoming increasingly sensitive to UV light.
    I also fear that using a sleep mask may at some point cause me to not be able to sleep without it.

Thank you very much

kind regards,

Paul

Re: Sleep masks - healthy or only causing dependance?

G'day,

Sleep masks are great for meditation, and for sleep.

for meditation, they give a sense of privacy and personal space, as well as blocking out distracting light to allow for deeper and more peaceful minds eye experience.

Total darkness is best for sleep. This promotes the best changes and melatonin levels, etc.

Sleep masks for meditation are great, but you can become dependent on them, as you mentioned about earplugs.

This is up to the user to decide. Use them when you need them, or when they enhance your experience.

I occasionally use a sleep mask, and also occasionally use noise cancellation headphones, and play anything from hemi sync surf to rain and forest noises. But mostly I just close my eyes and ignore the world of sound and light.

robert