Thread: Turn the other cheek core image removal

Turn the other cheek core image removal

In trying to clear myself out with core image removal, the concept of Jesus' injunction to turn the other cheek has given me some trouble. I would like to know what your take is on the meaning of his words. I know to turn away from a fight, I know to let the little things go, but I don't think I can keep being a doormat for too long before I explode. Kindness, compassion and understanding dont always work and experience has shown me that offering the other cheek for slapping often only invites another slap - I just don't see how this works well for either party. I was raised Christian and don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater since I believe that Jesus' words have profound insights yet I still struggle with anger at what I perceive to be unfair and unjust and why I should not use force when other peaceful means just don't cut it. Anger at injustice keeps coming up as a theme in my core images and I just can't seem to work this out.

Thanks for any advice
    J.

Re: Turn the other cheek core image removal

G'day,

The point here is, if you stay angry at someone, you stay connected to that someone.

In order to remove a core image, you need to 'let it go' and this includes all anger and judgment and any emotions that might connect you to that core image.

It is difficult, I know, to project love and forgiveness to someone who has caused suffering.

It is more doable to project unemotional forgiveness. This is a good start.

The person or situation should be considered as not worth thinking or feeling about, so you can just delete it from your mind. But care must be taken that resentment and anger are put aside, so a thing can be 'let go'.

This will help resolve any situation and sever connections. Just let it go, and let it go out of your mind and emotions.

Keep in mind that negative experiences of the past have a lot in the formation of ones character. They are integral, in this respect, to who we are now.

Also keep in mind that holding a grudge or hating or staying angry at persons does not hurt them. The only one it hurts is your self. In this sense, the hurt is kept alive. This is by and large a protective mechanism, whereby we invest emotion into a memory that we do not want to forget, so it will not happen again.

Clinging to the past in any way is depressing. This puts us out of balance. It casts shadows inside the mind...and in these shadows core images can form.

It can be a good thing to turn the other cheek in some circumstances. However, like all maxims this is flawed because there are obviously many circumstances where this is totally unwise.

If you were an oppressor, however, you would want people to believe in this maxim, so they do not complain or rise up against your oppression, no matter what you did to them. A good way to control the masses....

robert