I was excited to read AstralCody's recent post about an OBE turning into a dream since I had a very similar experience last night. I know without any uncertainty that I experienced my first OBE but there were irregularities regarding my home and neighborhood.

I had a call from work at 0030 and couldn't get back to sleep. After tossing and turning I noticed the time was 0130 and I was not at all sleepy. I continued trying to get to sleep and the next thing I know I began getting a sensation similar to the chills you get when you have a cold or the flu, and similar to a slight vibration. I also experienced a loud whooshing sort of wind-type noise and consciously understood the sensations were a precursor to an OBE. The vibrations would strengthen and wane over a period of a minute or two and I made an effort to lift, roll, or otherwise move out of body. The sensations stopped and I felt someone in bed beside me to my left (I sleep alone and usually lie on the right side). I felt someone's right arm and perhaps experienced talking (talking to physical body?). I was only slightly apprehensive and I decided to get out of bed on the right side side and walk out of the room.

I knew I was out of body and immediately decided to move away from the immediate area of the bedroom. I walked through the basement and up the stairs. I experienced, and readily noticed, a light feeling and I knew that it wasn't the usual effort of walking up the basement stairs (so far everything appeared the same as in the physical). Rather than emerge at the landing at the top of the stairs, the stairs opened directly onto the kitchen. The kitchen had a couple of small tables in the wrong location and everything was kind of dark and fuzzy. I then walked into the living room and, again, the room wasn't exactly as it should have been, though it was about the same size. I decided to float up into the room and floated from one wall to the other, touching them. I then physically opened a sliding glass patio door to the front porch (we don't have either). I seem to have realized I wasn't wearing clothing but I didn't care and there was no physical discomfort due to the weather. I wanted to fly and found myself on the roof overlooking a fairly well populated rural vista - certainly not my suburban neighborhood. I lifted up in the air and began flying around a verdant green countryside at an altitude of perhaps a couple of hundred feet. It was most certainly night time but yet I could see the lush green colors of the fields, which were separated with fences into individual properties. As the experience progressed, things became much more clear and focused. I swooped lower to the ground and flew close to a brown horse, who seemed to be watching me. I said something to the horse as I flew past but I don't remember what I said. I flew by barns and outbuildings containing machinery (one barn had an open side and was full of some sort of colorful orange machinery). I then discovered a flyer or brochure in my hands and a voice telling me that the military commander put his command on alert because of concerns that something had breached the airspace and I gathered it was me. I then thought about my body at home in bed and immediately woke.

As with Cody, was this an OBE that turned into a dream or a straight forward OBE?