Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what to read to learn magic(k)?

Timotheus Guest

Re: what to read to learn magic(k)?

alwayson4 Guest

Well here is a free copy of Kraig's Modern Magick, that you can save to your hard drive as a pdf, if you click on the download link:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/761a5e22-ff45 ... ern-Magick

This is acknowledged as the best introductory book on magick.

Personally it does not suit my tastes. I prefer affirmations and mantras to judeo/kabbalah stuff.

Timotheus Guest

Ouroboros Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Timotheus
    in short I only really meant to say that everything we ever needed to know we learned in kindergarten.

i think robert fulgum wrote a book called such. cant remember exactly.

anyway, i came back to delete what i had posted in my above reply. i was feelin like it was too much, maybe. i will probably shorten it a bit though. i get the jitters, as if i typed something i shouldn't have...laughing at self.

laters,

tim
    Ah, I hope you didn't interpret my comment on your style as derogatory or an attack or anything - that certainly was not my intent, I was simply commenting. I'm happy to see that you didn't delete the post altogether.

Timotheus Guest

Timotheus Guest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timotheus
    I pondered a study of the zohar for a few years, but imagined the life times it would take to gain even the slightest grasp, then let it go. i feel the same for any other massive textual undertaking.

magic begins with the magician personally speaking, I think. for me the best book, or study, to begin to learn magic, is your own self. the book that you alone uniquely represent.

in there dwells all the magic one may ever wish to participate with.

metaphysically speaking, i like the read written by florence schinn, that name may be mis-spelled, cant remember for sure.

seems a vain pursuit to me to look, or project to be a magician of sorts, but that's me. i must ask, who is not already a magician? remembering back i recall my first intro to reading: see jane run, see jane fall on face..etc.

such memorization was in vain, such that one did not learn to read as much as one had learned to mimic.

phonetically speaking, had one learned that (correct) mode of establishing the word, than surely magic would pour upon the pages of expression, whether it be reading or writing.

my devil's advocate two cents...sorry.

tim
    Would you be talking about Florence Scovel Shinn?
    I've read some stuff from her and it's pretty powerful.
    ~~~~~~~

And now, for all of you that want to learn magic, something to ponder, and please indulge me in a little sharing-
    One of the reasons I start studying magic (in many forms, I have begun many works and finished none) is because I'm one of those people who manifest easily. Too easily.
    It's possible that it is because I come from a long line of manifesters (and people involved in pseudo magical subcultures) and already had the idea of my thoughts manifesting my reality as part of my upbringing, so I didn't have to reprogram myself to believe that - so all my life I've observed how my thoughts/emotions shape my reality- the awareness has been there, but as a young person the self-discipline hasn't, and as a result a lot of undesirable results have happened.

Which brings me to this caveat:
    If you study magic, please make sure that your studies include a way of learning to control your mind and emotions, that the skill you learn include the skill to deflect or redirect negative energies, because negative emotions are very powerful and manifest really easily, even if you're not an 'adept'. So that if you study magic and become good at manifesting, realize that you will be also a very easy negative manifester, if you don't watch yourself.
    Something many people who know have said is very important: Manifesting works when thoughts and emotions are in accordance with each other. And this applies to all emotions.
    Ok, I'm done with my warnings.
    Carry on.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Timotheus Guest

alwayson4 Guest

Chapter 5 of "Energy Work" by Robert Bruce is an excellent distillation of magick

Ghost LLP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by starlight
    I’ve been doing energy work for a while and I am now interested in learning a little more magic. I saw the book on High Magick By Frater U. D online, would anyone recommend it or have other recommendations?
    Thank you
    The One Year Manual: Twelve Steps to Spiritual Enlightenment - by Israel Regardie

Practice of Magic: An Introductory Guide to the Art - by Draja Mickaharic

and of course, Initiation Into Hermetics - by Franz Bardon