PDA

View Full Version : Location: I'm not telling ...

Tom
16th May 2010, 11:46 AM
If you don't feel comfortable saying where you are, what's wrong with leaving it blank?

ButterflyWoman
16th May 2010, 11:57 AM
There's nothing wrong with leaving it blank. Lots of members do.

I use that space to make a joke. So I guess the question I'd ask is, "What's wrong with a joke?"

My location, in totally mundane terms: Melbourne, Australia (though it's already common knowledge, as far as I'm aware). My joke: Time and space are meaningless. Both are entirely true, depending on your point of view. One is more geographically helpful than the other, of course.

I'm wondering why this is a concern all of a sudden? Have members been putting rude things in there or ... ?

Tutor
16th May 2010, 04:58 PM
i dunno. but congrats on revealing your location...maybe. :shock:

in kentucky here, but beyond that, i see no reasoning in more specifics, neither being right or wrong, just good common sense i reckon, as y'all are eccentrically nuts and we got enough nuts in kentucky, myself being one.

please elaborate on the topical theme... :roll:

CFTraveler
17th May 2010, 03:02 PM
If you don't feel comfortable saying where you are, what's wrong with leaving it blank? There's nothing wrong. Why do you ask? Is it not letting you leave it blank?

Fish
17th June 2010, 07:52 PM
Hi Tom :)

Hope all's been well with you!

Tom
17th June 2010, 10:04 PM
If you don't feel comfortable saying where you are, what's wrong with leaving it blank? There's nothing wrong. Why do you ask? Is it not letting you leave it blank?

As far as I know it works perfectly and leaving it blank is an option, and anyone wanting to make a joke or give a brief lecture has other options if they don't want to say where they are.

Hi Tom :)
Hope all's been well with you!

It varies.

Beekeeper
18th June 2010, 10:12 AM
in kentucky here,

Hey Tim, I don't know why but I'd convinced myself you were English. Now I'll read your posts with an entirely different accent. :lol: And, before you ask, yes I often do read people's posts and characters in novels that way - even to the kids I teach, sometimes with acclaim. :wink:

Namaste, Tom. Bella continues to thrive. :D

ButterflyWoman
18th June 2010, 11:52 AM
anyone wanting to make a joke or give a brief lecture has other options if they don't want to say where they are.
Correct. Or they can use the space for whatever they want. There aren't any rules about this, and there aren't likely to be any enacted.

I get kinda bent out of shape over people who say "massive" when they actually mean "really big", because the word "massive" has specific meaning, and it's not about size (it's about mass!), but it's never occurred to me to make a thread about it. Though I might be tempted to start a thread about people using the word "literally" when they don't mean "literally" at all. That absolutely irritates the hell out of me. Don't people know what "literally" means?! Arrrgghhh!!!!

But even then, no forum rule against misusing the words "literally" or "massive". Or, for that matter, with mixing up "infer" and "imply" (another of my peeves). Hey. Let's start a thread about stuff that gives us the irrits. :lol:

Tutor
18th June 2010, 11:59 AM
in kentucky here,

Hey Tim, I don't know why but I'd convinced myself you were English. Now I'll read your posts with an entirely different accent. :lol: And, before you ask, yes I often do read people's posts and characters in novels that way - even to the kids I teach, sometimes with acclaim. :wink:

Namaste, Tom. Bella continues to thrive. :D

eastern kentucky hillbilly right here, and i talk like one too. :D how i write and how i talk are very different. other than skype with one person in australia, i've not used my voice to convey one iota of how i would see to write it. i just dont go around talkin to folks about such things in this howdy neighbor rural setting.

i keeps it quiet and simple, the way i like it. :wink:

hell, my wife doesnt even want to hear or read my stirrings on such things. Every once and while I will have an epiphany about some deep matter (to me :oops: ) and straight away i will go to my wife, just have to speak it ya know, and she will listen as i try and keep it short and sweet, and then she will say, "hmmm...don't have a clue what you're saying, but that's good tim". lolol

so, the only "acclaim" i get i reckon, is in my own wee lil pin head. :wink:

the draw of any other acclaim does not appeal to me, and i do not envy those who've made themselves into a public outreach program for whatever motive. :|

Alienor
22nd June 2010, 07:53 AM
Just for you, Tom!!! I changed my blank 8)