PDA

View Full Version : Deliberately intercepting dreams with music

gavi dvan
1st March 2006, 02:21 AM
Something I have found to be a heck of a lot of fun is deliberately intercepting my dreams with music. Wahay!

What I'll do is leave a selection of familiar music on loop all night and eventually some of those sogns squeeze their way into my head while I'm asleep, without actually waking me up of course.

It's come through in a variety of ways, such as:

-In my dream I am watching TV, the song comes on as if the band were playing it live. (I kind of vary between watching TV and actually being there - weird.) This was cool because it was a random System Of A Down song off the newest album that I'm pretty sure has never even been played live, but I still feel as if I've now seen them do it.
-I'm out somewhere and a person I am with starts reciting the lyrics perfectly. (Often happens with hip-hop.) Sometimes I am joining in.
-Music over the speakers in a supermarket
-I'm in a cinema and the song plays as the credits roll. This happens fairly often.

I find it's a lot of fun and injects some new kind of life into the song at hand. Anyone else had similar experience, or can shed any light onto this?

piXen
1st March 2006, 03:19 AM
The only experience I have had is listening to music before bed and having lucid dreams later on that I was either the lead singer of that band or I would have a pretend meeting with them. Kind of cool.

Ziltron
2nd March 2006, 02:00 AM
Hahahaha ^~^ I once had this great dream about going just absolutely nuts on a guitaur, really wailing. Having no coordination or musical ability in the waking world, this was something special.

Guess there are some things we can only dream about...

CFTraveler
2nd March 2006, 02:09 AM
Something similar: If I take a nap with the TV on (like if my son is watching cartoons) I will dream the plot (but with different pictures) Sometimes I dream a better version of the show. :lol:

piXen
2nd March 2006, 09:48 PM
Something similar: If I take a nap with the TV on (like if my son is watching cartoons) I will dream the plot (but with different pictures) Sometimes I dream a better version of the show. :lol:

My husband reminded me of the same thing that happened to me the other day. I'm always snoozing while he's watching TV and something happened on "Leave it to Beaver"... I took that show some strange places. Weird things happen when I fall asleep watching "Little House on the Prairie" too, lol.

Beekeeper
4th March 2006, 06:55 AM
In one of my favourite dreams ever I was an old time school mistress at an old fashioned girls' boarding school. It was like a scene out of a musical. The girls gathered around the piano and I launched into this fantastically quick, rollicking-good, jazzy-rock number, that I was improvising as I went. (I couldn't play piano in real life at the time.) The only lyrics I recall are, "You can't channel Buddah through your crystal earrings." The girls joined in and there was a whole lot of skilled dancing going on. Fun.

As a teen, I was always in the school musicals (usually sweet girl-next-door type roles). Performing* or auditioning is still a common motif in my dreams even though I haven't done it for years. I'm sure I know the lyrics of songs in my sleep that I certainly don't know in waking life. I can also hit notes that I can't hit when awake.

*Funny thought: one of those dream performances was me flying and the audience, which included a bishop, being scandalised. I was only about 19 at the time and not into AP at all.

CFTraveler
4th March 2006, 05:06 PM
"You can't channel Buddah through your crystal earrings."
I love that! It should be a sig!

Beekeeper
4th March 2006, 09:20 PM
I was so excited by that dream that I told it to the senior class I taught that year. When they left, they threw me a dinner and gave me a gift: some crystal earrings and a Buddah incense burner.

(Most recently I went and saw one of the boys graduate from his drama degree at uni in a performance of "Cabaret". I bet he has stage dreams all the time. He was fantastic, by the way.)

The mind boggles wondering what your dream mind does to those TV shows C.F.

Ziltron
6th March 2006, 08:48 AM
Ohh, writing things while asleep is the best! It's all the reward of creativity with none of the banging your head against the wall frustration. Here's an example:

'Red for Courage; Courage bleeds,
White for Pure heart's noble needs.
Blue for Knowledge, Heaven's birth,
Green for Wisdom of the Earth.
Yellow Sun brings Hope of Day,
Colors five drive fears away.'

That was written in a sort of half-awake, half-asleep trance. A collaboration with my subconcious self, if you will ^_^ Still, nothing beats the crystal earings.

Beekeeper
8th March 2006, 06:48 AM
I think yours has more depth and artistic merit perhaps. :lol:

8th March 2006, 10:49 PM
In one of my favourite dreams ever I was an old time school mistress at an old fashioned girls' boarding school. It was like a scene out of a musical. The girls gathered around the piano and I launched into this fantastically quick, rollicking-good, jazzy-rock number, that I was improvising as I went. (I couldn't play piano in real life at the time.) The only lyrics I recall are, "You can't channel Buddah through your crystal earrings." The girls joined in and there was a whole lot of skilled dancing going on. Fun.

As a teen, I was always in the school musicals (usually sweet girl-next-door type roles). Performing* or auditioning is still a common motif in my dreams even though I haven't done it for years. I'm sure I know the lyrics of songs in my sleep that I certainly don't know in waking life. I can also hit notes that I can't hit when awake.

*Funny thought: one of those dream performances was me flying and the audience, which included a bishop, being scandalised. I was only about 19 at the time and not into AP at all.
I know nothing about channeling Buddha. But I do know that Robert Bruce said some people have problems in an OBE exit caused by jewelry.

8th March 2006, 10:53 PM
Something I have found to be a heck of a lot of fun is deliberately intercepting my dreams with music. Wahay!

What I'll do is leave a selection of familiar music on loop all night and eventually some of those sogns squeeze their way into my head while I'm asleep, without actually waking me up of course.

It's come through in a variety of ways, such as:

-In my dream I am watching TV, the song comes on as if the band were playing it live. (I kind of vary between watching TV and actually being there - weird.) This was cool because it was a random System Of A Down song off the newest album that I'm pretty sure has never even been played live, but I still feel as if I've now seen them do it.
-I'm out somewhere and a person I am with starts reciting the lyrics perfectly. (Often happens with hip-hop.) Sometimes I am joining in.
-Music over the speakers in a supermarket
-I'm in a cinema and the song plays as the credits roll. This happens fairly often.

I find it's a lot of fun and injects some new kind of life into the song at hand. Anyone else had similar experience, or can shed any light onto this?
It wasn't deliberate -- and it didn't involve music. But I remember one time I fell asleep with a radio on. It was set to a Latino station. Well, I woke up dreaming that I was talking to someone who spoke Spanish. In real life, I don't know a word of Spanish. But it seemed like I did in the dream.

CFTraveler
9th March 2006, 02:17 PM
Hola, Soph! :lol:

9th March 2006, 07:23 PM
Hola, Soph! :lol:
Oh, yea, Hi!