PDA

View Full Version : LOST- Caution- *spoilers*

CFTraveler
24th May 2010, 03:19 PM
It seems like the entire show was a trip to the Bardo. Any comments?

CFTraveler
25th May 2010, 10:17 PM
Well, sort of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeHsSmQd ... eature=sub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeHsSmQdkzE&playnext_from=TL&videos=VgSygGOw86M&feature=sub)

magic
27th May 2010, 09:18 PM
I thought the Lost finale was beutiful. And the whole show did not take place in the afterlife, only the "flash sideways" that were introduced in season6.

I do believe the afterlife interpretation mirrors the real afterlife, what do you others think?
Some says the eternal now exist but another theory "My Big Toe" suggests we can´t meet loved ones after we dies, we can only pull data from a database and recreate the persons that we knew, but it´s not really them since they might have
reincarnated a long ago. This might sound strange if you are not familiar with the "My Big Toe" book.

/Magic

Yamabushi
30th May 2010, 09:09 PM
As a physicist I was sort of disappointed that they did not address a lot of issues relating to what the Dharma Initiative was doing and to the "energy" at the center of the island. When they brought up exotic matter and the Casimir effect in the fourth season I was on the edge of my seat... stayed there for two more seasons. Oh well.

YB

iadnon
1st June 2010, 12:07 PM
I understand you all.

I thought they were playing with multiuniverses or the like.

In the end Jacob and his brother didn't appear in the church... Weren't they dead too?

What happened with Daimon's father-in-law? Didn't he give Daimon instructions to wake the others up? I think I've lost some link there.

And the island's capability to travel in space and time?

To many questions unsolved...

CFTraveler
1st June 2010, 03:31 PM
I thought the story of Jacob and his brother was as 'facilitators' - they had transcended their humanity and become the forces that cause introspection and change in the environment they were in. The way I saw it was that Jacob and his brother (who was unnamed because he was his shadow) were symbols for the job of those who help people in the Bardo (or place in between states) deal with their 'stuff'. At some point the facilitators (angel/demons) transcend their jobs and some will take it on- like Locke and Ben, who were in 'training' to be the next Jacob/Bocaj. (I just named him, lol). At some point the facilitators themselves moved on, before the survivors themselves, which was symbolized by the drinking of the river water (or lake water).

What the island itself symbolizes I think has to do with being a fluid environment- the 'heart' of the island could have been a symbol for energy- that shapes itself depending on what you're there for, and the fact that it can move through time and space (but not easily) I think has to do with the 'fact' that it's a collective environment, so it has some permanence.

@Yama, what I thought about the Dharma Initiative is that since most of the people that believe in this sort of 'place' or 'afterlife belief' is of eastern religious culture, the island itself had been initially 'shaped' with the types of beliefs the people created about it, hence the name 'Dharma', (wheel of life). I think it became the 'Dharma Initiative' when these concepts of the afterlife became more popular and universal after the 60s, and that's why most of the 'others' had that hippie 'flavor', yet their 'leader' was Dr. Chang. I wonder if Chang is Han or Tibetan- but that to me was a tipoff for the whole Bardo idea.

I think the scientific orientation had to do with how us westerners are putting our scientific interest in such formerly religious landscapes and ideas, so that the 'time/space' nexus becomes a scientific research project. And since everything is energy....

Just my interpretation, obviously.