PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Hurd: The Succubus Reconsidered

Beekeeper
27th June 2010, 11:29 AM
This piece about sexual spirit encounters and ghost rape is adapted from chapter 6 of my ebook Sleep paralysis: a dreamer’s guide.

The historic fears of succubi and incubi must be reconsidered in light of contemporary psychology. As the medical community disregarded the narratives of sleep paralysis until David Hufford’s ground-breaking work in the 1970s, we would be making the same mistake if we chalk up the old tales of sexual demons to “merely legend”....

...I’m also still collecting accounts of sexual encounters during SP/HH for my ongoing research (positive, negative and the deeply weird). Contact me using the form on my about page. As always, I promise anonymity if you choose to share your experiences with me.

http://dreamstudies.org/2010/06/25/succubus-and-supernatural-assault/

ThePoliteSkeptic
13th August 2010, 06:47 AM
So the succubus type encounters are something that people still experience.

I've awoke with sleep paralysis twice, and both times I had the very vivid experience of being shaken violently by the shoulders, with growling. Now, I don't mean to sound disrespectful to the subject, but I think I would have preferred a succubus. :wink:

CFTraveler
13th August 2010, 03:45 PM
I think that because of religious labeling (i.e. 'you must be asking for it') and/or fear of ridicule many people don't admit having had these types of problems except for in forums like these.

ThePoliteSkeptic
13th August 2010, 04:43 PM
I think that because of religious labeling (i.e. 'you must be asking for it') and/or fear of ridicule many people don't admit having had these types of problems except for in forums like these.

Yes, definitely.

newfreedom
14th August 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the link Beekeeper, i found it very interesting and helpful x :) x

eyeoneblack
15th August 2010, 03:40 AM
That was interesting, Beekeeper! My few experiences with SP have been frightening because the paralysis included breathing, and I couldn't breath, but this was no doubt associated with apnea. I got over it, practiced breathing deeply, which I'm not inclined to do, and sleep well these days/nights.

My esteem...

:)

Beekeeper
15th August 2010, 06:09 AM
I'm glad you found it useful, guys. I like Ryan Hurd's work.

Even in these forums some people would rather use the private message system to discuss these experiences. That's the reason why I posted this article.

defectron
10th December 2010, 08:59 PM
I bought this book a few hours ago, because I'm interested in trying to purposely induce sleep paralysis. One thing I just thought I would point out though, is based on what I have read i don't think the hawaiian nightmarchers should be lumped in with the other stranger types across the world. The nightmarcher reports I've read of have all occurred while the indeviduals involved were definitely awake so I think something different may have been going on there. Other then that so far this is pretty good.

CFTraveler
10th December 2010, 10:03 PM
You can't induce sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is something that happens to you. What you want to induce is waking paralysis, or deep trance. It's not the same.

Korpo
11th December 2010, 01:32 PM
Hello, defectron.

The nightmarcher reports I've read of have all occurred while the indeviduals involved were definitely awake so I think something different may have been going on there.

You can have etheric sight while being awake, especially at night.

Cheers,
Oliver

defectron
11th December 2010, 08:56 PM
You can have etheric sight while being awake, especially at night.

Would that be what allows people to see stuff like ghosts?

CFTraveler
11th December 2010, 10:08 PM
Possibly- or, But more likely, I think when you see ghosts it's Astral Sight, because I think the deceased progress into the Astral level (plane, locale, whatever) fairly quickly.

defectron
11th December 2010, 11:19 PM
ah, yeah that could be, anyway here's a somewhat typical sighting of the nightmarchers for those who arent very familiar with them http://www.castleofspirits.com/pali.html this is the same place where I saw a ghost when I went to Hawaii recently.

CFTraveler
12th December 2010, 03:19 AM
That almost sounds like a residual haunting, instead of an intelligent haunting to me, with folklore attached to it. But of course, who knows.