PDA

View Full Version : Micro-dreams?

Cirrus Minor
10th July 2010, 05:01 AM
I have noticed during the time that i meditate and also when i drift to sleep, I experience something i can only describe as micro dreams. It isn't the same kind of dream that takes place in the REM state, but more of a thought or words which come from somewhere besides my conscious mind. Usually it seems like irrational gibberish without any kind of context, and I can can never directly observe it, only realize and remember it the split second after it happens. I am wondering if it could be something coming out of my subconscious or from an external source, and why it doesn't make any sense.

WASD
10th July 2010, 11:05 AM
It might be the first stages of entering a dream, im not sure. I've experienced something similar during short sleep-periods (~few hours).

CFTraveler
10th July 2010, 09:28 PM
The more you meditate the more you experience this. It is my opinion/theory that this is not the beginning of dreaming- it is the beginning of the awareness of unconscious thought processes that are always happening- a glimpse of perhaps another region that is active, either of the mind or the brain, depending on what worldview you resonate with.
I also think that the reason we become aware of it happening when in meditation is because our conscious awareness is slowly changing frequency, and it is beginning to 'synch' with this other thought/exchange undercurrent. The minute we realize what we're experiencing we become excited, and snap out of it. The longer you meditate and the more you practice the more you can experience (hear/know?) this process and stay with it to get more out of it, so to speak, whatever the explanation is.

ThePoliteSkeptic
13th August 2010, 04:07 AM
I have noticed during the time that i meditate and also when i drift to sleep, I experience something i can only describe as micro dreams. It isn't the same kind of dream that takes place in the REM state, but more of a thought or words which come from somewhere besides my conscious mind. Usually it seems like irrational gibberish without any kind of context, and I can can never directly observe it, only realize and remember it the split second after it happens. I am wondering if it could be something coming out of my subconscious or from an external source, and why it doesn't make any sense.

I understand what you're talking about. I've read recently, though I can't personally confirm this, that it's been found the humans actually dream in nrem sleep as well as rem sleep.

As for the zany things one sees when one is falling asleep, it's entirely common, I think. I can't say what the use of such "micro-dreams" could be, from an evolutionary standpoint, but they're definitely interesting to describe to anyone that may be sharing your bed at the time.

ButterflyWoman
13th August 2010, 07:55 AM
I've had this for years. Sometimes, if I'm particularly tired, I'll start to become aware of these "micro-dreams" (good term, btw) before I even get near the bed (always a good sign that I'm really tired!).

incubus12
16th January 2011, 11:02 AM
I need help understanding what excatly im experincing the other night i was alseep and dreamnt i was in the same exact place doing the same thing but couldnt really move only slightly and i kept waking up and then falling back asleep it was if i was in the same palce but a diffrent plane i noticed it when i saw an incese stand but when i awoke i realized there was no incense kinda weird does anyone know what this is? I was wearing a moldavite ring and had pink quartz

newfreedom
2nd February 2011, 02:44 AM
I think i've experienced these micro-dream type thingies, alot of this stuff is very new to me still and at times i can find these 'new spaces' quite unsettling and scary, thanks for all your answers here, it helps alot to know others understandings on things.. xX

incubus12
sometimes when i wake, the place i'm in feels totally 'alien' and unfamiliar and it frightens me and somehow it feels like two separate parts of myself have to come together first, before the enviroment becomes the familiar earth space i know and i am 'back to normal' wakefulness

I wonder if this is similiar to your experiences :?:

natalie-1984
18th February 2011, 06:14 AM
me and my ex husband used to share our micro-dreams while we were having them! It was hallarious! We would be laying next to eachother and tell eachother the random stuff we saw!

CFTraveler
18th February 2011, 03:09 PM
I need help understanding what excatly im experincing the other night i was alseep and dreamnt i was in the same exact place doing the same thing but couldnt really move only slightly and i kept waking up and then falling back asleep it was if i was in the same palce but a diffrent plane i noticed it when i saw an incese stand but when i awoke i realized there was no incense kinda weird does anyone know what this is? I was wearing a moldavite ring and had pink quartz What happened is that you were having a very light sleep (on the verge of wakefulness), and your body awareness was still "on"- so you are having a dream (seeing it) but are aware of your body being paralyzed. So you fluctuated between awake and asleep, and finally woke up.
It just means that your body was more sleepy than your mind, and your conscious awareness stayed in the body while you experienced your dreams. This is not uncommon for people who are exhausted, or have insomnia.