PDA

View Full Version : Earworms

sono
22nd July 2010, 04:26 AM
Has anyone kept notes on the snatches of music or the earworms that play in one's brain? I am starting to keep a diary of them to see if there's any hidden message (?!) I often find very negative phrases going round in my head from snatches of pop songs I didn't even consciously realise I had heard (or knew!) Today, for eg. I have "I can't make it by myself" (phrase from a Tom Waits song I haven't listened to in ages) going round & round & it doesn't seem like a very positive mantra to start the day!

niki123
22nd July 2010, 05:11 AM
I get them all the time but as soon as I find the song lyrics I gorget about it.The latest one was "Welcome to the jungle" by guns and roses.I don't think I liked this one's message.Kind of a grin and bear it attitude without any control. :lol: Hmm...

Has anyone kept notes on the snatches of music or the earworms that play in one's brain? I am starting to keep a diary of them to see if there's any hidden message (?!) I often find very negative phrases going round in my head from snatches of pop songs I didn't even consciously realise I had heard (or knew!) Today, for eg. I have "I can't make it by myself" (phrase from a Tom Waits song I haven't listened to in ages) going round & round & it doesn't seem like a very positive mantra to start the day!

ButterflyWoman
22nd July 2010, 07:05 AM
I get earworms all the time. I've never seen any particular pattern with them.

One way to get rid of them is to find a "brain wipe" song. It seems to vary for people as to what works, but a brain wipe song is one that you sing or listen to and it wipes the earworm out of your head but doesn't stick, itself. Some that work for me are:

R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. (John Mellencamp)
Valleri (The Monkees)
Hammer to Fall (Queen)
I Want to Hold Your Hand (The Beatles)

Basically, the song needs to be catchy, upbeat, and memorable, but not have a musical or lyrical hook that keeps going once you stop singing/listening. As I said, it does vary from person to person.

You can also try taking a very sticky song and singing or listening to that, and getting that in your head, instead. So long as the lyrics aren't bothersome, it does work (but you still have an earworm, of course). I find that "Karma Chamelon" works really well for that, and it's pretty inoffensive. Also "Eleanor" by the Turtles, but be careful with that, because the chorus is extremely sticky and hard to get rid of! ;)

sono
22nd July 2010, 08:15 AM
:lol: Thanks! ( BTW I am enjoying your blog, CaterpillarWoman)

Korpo
22nd July 2010, 10:10 AM
Hello, sono.

All the time. :D

Oliver

Korpo
22nd July 2010, 10:12 AM
Hello, sono.

I have "I can't make it by myself" (phrase from a Tom Waits song I haven't listened to in ages) going round & round & it doesn't seem like a very positive mantra to start the day!

This might be a basic reminder of your present emotional state. You might need to do something about self-valuation.

Alternatively it's a reminder to get some more spiritual-minded friends. This kind of companionship can be very helpful and joyful.

Cheers,
Oliver

sono
22nd July 2010, 10:25 AM
Mmmmmmm, re the like minded friends, few & far between out here. . .but that's a very good point!

Korpo
22nd July 2010, 12:02 PM
BTW, this reminded me of something, and it might interest you guys...

I'm in general no big fan of the concept of "everything is an illusion."

However, I found it helpful to have similar behaviours in different levels of reality. You could say I'm slowly moving to treating everything like I treat dreams.

So, if I hear an earworm in my head upon waking, or for example while taking a shower, I treat as a symbol to interpret. When I wake and remember a dream, I treat its content as symbols to interpret. The behaviours of people surrounding me, my own, the life situations generated and the respective dynamics - I look for the symbolic content, the archetypes, whatever. Same for synchronicities.

Most things are messages to me, but I also accept that I cannot interpret them all or have the knowledge to understand most of the things surrounding me. That doesn't make them less symbolic, but when I cannot determine the level a symbol is operating on (is it a big energy, a small energy) and what it pertains to, I simply have to stop at some point. So, basically I interpret what I can and leave the rest.

Also, if I have a certain reaction, like looking for the symbolic content, it easily transfers between realities.

So, basically, and until now I didn't really consciously realise it - I have begun treating life as if it was another kind of dream. So, to some extent, and to the extent I find it helpful and useful, this is indeed a variant on the statement "everything is an illusion."

Cheers,
Oliver

sono
23rd July 2010, 03:45 AM
You have hit on a great insight there, treating everything as if it were a dream - & it probably is; memories of events & memories of dreams are no different in quality (for me anyway) When I was a child I had difficulty in deciding whether I had dreamed something or 'really" done it. . . . . the ideal of the great yogis was also to be able to move seamlessly between realities, & symbols translate the same in all "textures" of being, I think.

Korpo
23rd July 2010, 06:20 AM
Hello, sono.

the ideal of the great yogis was also to be able to move seamlessly between realities

Could you give me a pointer about where I could learn more about that?

Thanks,
Oliver

ButterflyWoman
23rd July 2010, 06:37 AM
treating everything as if it were a dream - & it probably is
That's essentially what's meant by saying everything is an illusion, at least by people who say it having experienced it (a lot of people do pay lip service to the idea without really knowing what they're on about, of course).

memories of events & memories of dreams are no different in quality
And memories are no different from any other kind of thought, except the belief that they are something that really happened and are part of your timeline/history. ;)

sono
23rd July 2010, 07:45 AM
the ideal of the great yogis was also to be able to move seamlessly between realities

Could you give me a pointer about where I could learn more about that?

Not offhand, I'm afraid Korpo - if I remember rightly it is part of the Tibetan dream yoga work & also mentioned in passing by Swami Sivananda; I'll try to remember exactly & let you know.

Korpo
22nd August 2010, 09:14 PM
Today I suddenly remembered "Take out the papers and the trash." Turns out tomorrow the garbage haul is due. :)

Oliver