PDA

View Full Version : Intense and scary dreams after restarting meditation

magic
28th July 2010, 10:02 AM
I´ve been restarting my meditation sessions in an effort to train for obe.
I usually do them about 30-60 minutes before sleep. But today this resulted in me having som pretty intense and somewhat violent dreams.
I woke up several times during the night and felt a little scared and on edge, I was reacting to the smallest sound and It took a while to get back to sleep.

The meditation seems to have increased my recall of my dreams too since I remember having 3 separates dream stories.
(The first dream I was in a futuristic world flying on some kind of small flying machine, escaping from something while performing some kind of work, it was pretty intense. I also had
the feeling of returning to a reality I was familiar with, sort of waking up from a dream to the real world, but this time it was the reverse)

Why does this happen?, will the dreams calm down after some time?
Anyone with similar experiences?

/Magic

Beekeeper
28th July 2010, 11:50 AM
I suspect it happens because meditation signals to the subconscious your preparedness to do some inner work. As horrible as they are, I do believe nightmares have value. Consider this article (http://nightmares.info/).

ButterflyWoman
28th July 2010, 01:25 PM
I agree with Beekeeper. I've learned a great deal from nightmares. They always, ALWAYS reflect something in my inner reality which needs resolution. When I find it and heal it, the nightmares stop.

Korpo
28th July 2010, 04:09 PM
Hello, magic.

(The first dream I was in a futuristic world flying on some kind of small flying machine, escaping from something while performing some kind of work, it was pretty intense. I also had
the feeling of returning to a reality I was familiar with, sort of waking up from a dream to the real world, but this time it was the reverse)

This probably means you had an astral or higher OBE, an experience of the wider reality of a plane, for example. Your inner senses seem to have caught on, hence the feeling of "This is real." That's inner sense feedback at work.

Futuristic and sci-fi themes often serve as symbolism for the higher degree of development you experience on that plane - the additional sense perceptions and information for example, movement as flight or by thought/teleport. But higher degree of development not in terms of technology, but in terms of spiritual development.

Also the work you did "there" might have implications on your spiritual development or upcoming events. I have these kinds of dreams for example right before there are significant life changes or challenging events.

I also agree with Beekeeper - the willingness to meditate has been interpreted as the intention of "dealing with the inner reality." You still experience that as stressful (also there's the symbolism of trying to escape - maybe from challenges in your waking life?), but that aspect might subside.

However, I'd say the dreaming is a good sign. You set down time to mediate and got a response that now's the time you could do some real work regarding your growth. Your effort at day is doubled at night.

Cheers,
Oliver

magic
28th July 2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the Insights and interpretation Beekeeper and Korpo, yeah I suspect the dream reflect some fear and issues I need to work at. And the work was more of escaping and setting traps and misdirection for "people" that were after me. I didn´t have time to stop and catch my breath even. So perhaps the symbolises me escaping from my fear and issues in real life.

I also felt like an evil entity was trying to attack me in my bed (when I was half asleep) So I was afraid to turn my head and look at what it was, perhaps the fearful entity was a representation of my own fears.

/Magic

Beekeeper
8th August 2010, 10:53 AM
Here's another "Why Nightmares are Good" article.
http://www.jeremytaylor.com/pages/nightmares.html

star
28th August 2010, 12:39 AM
I´ve been restarting my meditation sessions in an effort to train for obe.
I usually do them about 30-60 minutes before sleep. But today this resulted in me having som pretty intense and somewhat violent dreams.
I woke up several times during the night and felt a little scared and on edge, I was reacting to the smallest sound and It took a while to get back to sleep.

The meditation seems to have increased my recall of my dreams too since I remember having 3 separates dream stories.

Why does this happen?, will the dreams calm down after some time?
Anyone with similar experiences?

/Magic
I suggest spending some time learning how your mind communicates through dreams. This is best performed by gaining lucidity and scouring everything your mind shows you. Anyhow, i've noticed something of the same. I've heard that it is crap rising to the surface, pushed around by meditation, I don't really know though, good luck.

baalixan
4th September 2010, 09:55 PM
dreams tend to be either bluntly direct in their meaning, or extremely symbolic. through meditation you clear out all the clutter and meaningless thoughts on the surface, allowing long buried demons, pains, and fears to rise to the surface which will often happen thru a dream, or some form of emotional release. so analyze the dreams, find what directly relates to your life, past present and future, and then look for symbolic meanings, wether its a fear, not trusting someone, or something you need to know or understand. dreams/visions tell alot that many people miss because they have this 'it was just a dream' attitude about it. dreams aren't entirely random, so even if you don't understand one part of it, remember it for later and the meaning eventually because clear.