PDA

View Full Version : looked up body Ph

Alaskans
28th July 2010, 12:07 PM
Im reading it up. It is a body function worth knowing about. "body alkalinity" http://www.thisismyindia.com/health/food/acidic-alkaline-foods.html

The Ph effects of food on the body has nothing to do with the Ph of the food itself, so it all has to be tested. There are lots of lists, some lists contradict eachother. But this one looks good
http://acidalkalinediet.com/Alkaline-Foods-Chart.htm
Kinda cool for diabetics; all those artificial sweeteners are super high in acidity, but stevia is super high in alkalinity (one source)

I was trying to figure out why there are pepsi freaks. Caffiene doesnt explain it, the pepsi junkies I know drink coffee too, my mom, and neighbor who drinks nothing but coffee and pepsi, and hisses at water.. yes.. a little wierd. I thought 'ultra secret ingredient?'
I find out that cola is insanely acidic in the system. I think the addiction is caused from the body overcompensating for the acidity from the cola. When it is nolonger there it doesnt know how to function without.
Probably explains a lot of wierd food quirks. Though the examples of people I know, in the lack of the food they depend on, the 'withdrawl' symptoms dont seem to match. The guy who needs hot peppers (alkaline) gets hyper-alkaline symptoms without them, when my pepsi freak neighbor runs out of pepsi he gets symptoms of acidosis (hyper-acidity). Hyper-alkalinity has symptoms but they dont seem nearly as bad as acidosis. Its chemistry, but its also the whole yin yang cats dogs balancing forces thing again.

CFTraveler
28th July 2010, 05:14 PM
Interesting. I am one of those pepsi freaks (I limit to one a day or every other day) but I do know it's not the caffeine, because the caffeine-free, although not giving the same punch, does give me the "aaaah" feeling. Does Coke also have the same effect? I know some people that are addicted to Coke, and even though I'll have it every once in a while, it just doesn't do it for me.

ButterflyWoman
28th July 2010, 05:26 PM
Does Coke also have the same effect?
Yes. I prefer Coke to Pepsi, and I used to be a Coca-Cola addict. I won't go into all the details, but I had to quit Coke cold turkey and now I won't buy it to have in the house, though I do occasionally have it when we go out for a meal (I have it maybe once or twice a month now, if that).

It's partly the caffeine for me, but it's definitely something else. I don't know what, other than the delicious caramel goodness and the hint of lemon top notes.... Gaaahhgghhllgghh.... Coca-Cola.....

In fact, I have a lot of trouble with acid reflux and related issues, and cutting Coke out of my diet has helped considerably with that.

Alaskans
29th July 2010, 06:57 AM
according to one source, to counteract the acidity of one cola with a ph of 2.3 you would need to drink 32 cups of alkaline water with a ph of 10 (but the body uses up minerals to balance it, so you dont have to)

I wanna experement with stevia and lemons, get my alkalinity up and see how I feel (yea strange, despite being super acidy, lemons are exremely alkaline after processing in the body)

CFTraveler
29th July 2010, 05:55 PM
according to one source, to counteract the acidity of one cola with a ph of 2.3 you would need to drink 32 cups of alkaline water with a ph of 10 (but the body uses up minerals to balance it, so you dont have to) Or eat a Tums, which will neutralize it immediately. The combo of phosphoric acid and calcium carbonate might not be good if you are a male with tendency to get stones, but otherwise, it's all good.
I'd rather drink my water as clear as possible, unless it's been adjusted by calcium, like in nature. I think using sodium bicarbonate is worse than the tums because of the use of sodium instead of calcium to do it. We already eat too much sodium as it is- to add it to water is frankly, not my idea of a good idea.

I wanna experement with stevia and lemons, get my alkalinity up and see how I feel (yea strange, despite being super acidy, lemons are exremely alkaline after processing in the body) I already use Stevia in my coffee, not for ph balance, but to keep the sugar down. However, I do not for one minute believe the bit of the lemon becoming alkaline after processing.

There is more than one reason for eating alkaline foods, and the most important one is to keep your stomach from developing a hole in it, so if you get an ulcer, eating lemons or vinegar in the hopes of your body processing them into alkaloids is a mistake, because they'll burn it worse before the processing happens.
I think it's important to realize that eating a balanced meal that is healthy is more important than eating to make your body alkaline or acidic, because any extreme is, well, extreme, and eating from fear will cause problems from the outset.

Eat to be healthy, don't eat to 'not' be sick.

---

ButterflyWoman
29th July 2010, 06:28 PM
I think using sodium bicarbonate is worse than the tums because of the use of sodium instead of calcium
Last time I took sodium bicarbonate, it was because I had a really bad attack of heartburn that was so severe I couldn't sleep, and we were out of Rennie (essentially just like Tums) and every other possible heartburn remedy. Within a quite short period of time I had a very nasty attack of Ménière's disease, triggered by the high sodium intake (I normally watch my sodium pretty carefully, and I manage the Ménière's quite well most of the time).

From now on, no matter HOW bad the heartburn is, I refuse to take sodium bicarbonate. Absolutely not worth it. I'd rather sleep sitting up in the recliner, or go out in the middle of the night to find some proper heartburn medication!

Alaskans
31st July 2010, 12:14 AM
Actually, lemon/lime was tested many times, it results in high alkalinity change.

according to one source, to counteract the acidity of one cola with a ph of 2.3 you would need to drink 32 cups of alkaline water with a ph of 10 (but the body uses up minerals to balance it, so you dont have to)

Or eat a Tums, which will neutralize it immediately
Body alkalinity isnt what you think it is, look it up. It has nothing to do with the acidity/alkalinity of the food itself, or your stomach. Tums probably wouldnt do anything, except protect your stumach.

It referes to what the food does to the Ph +/- of the entire body after digestion.

CFTraveler
31st July 2010, 01:35 AM
I understand that, what I'm saying is that burning a hole in your stomach or getting high blood pressure is not a risk I would take to make my body more alkaline.