PDA

View Full Version : Help for Extremely Easy / Simple Lucid Dreaming Device

blasko229
13th September 2010, 04:02 AM
I'm trying to make or find a small device that simply does a short beep when a button on the front is pressed. This would be attached to the front of a sleeping mask.

I got the idea from the REM Dreamer device that uses a similar feature. I have used the device and this method does work. I sold the mask since I didn't need all its other fancy features and it is fairly expensive.

The way it works is that you press the button on the mask a few times (every time you take a sip of water, go to the bathroom, flip over etc) before bed to do a reality test and are programmed to continue the reality test after falling asleep.

Your subconscious is not able to reproduce a beep during a dream, likely since it is a very unnatural sound. Pressing the button in your dream and the lack of a beep instantly tells you are dreaming. Several times per night I could induce a lucid dream. For example I would go to the bathroom, flip on the light, hit the button with no beep and become instantly lucid.

Trying to find such a simple device is proving difficult and I don't have much expertise with creating electronics from scratch but may end up the route I have to take. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your posting.

ThePoliteSkeptic
13th September 2010, 06:02 AM
Well, I have two ideas. Firstly, if you look around thrift stores, at toys and things like that, you might find something suitable. A hand buzzer, for instance, that doesn't beep, but does make an unnatural sound. There are also little macdonalds type toys, that could be strapped to your arm, perhaps, that say something when a button is pushed (there is a female chipmunk in this house that says, "We're sisters, haha!"). This would be worth a try.

If you were willing to go a different route, I've noticed that pain feels different in dreams, so you could wear a loose rubber band around your wrist, and when the trigger event happens, just snap yourself, and pay attention to the feeling.

I might start doing that, myself. Thanks for the ideas. haha

blasko229
14th September 2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Thrift store is a good place to checkout. Going to try a 'clicker' from a pet store that is used to train dogs. Same functionality but different sound. Will let you know if it works.

astralflyman
14th September 2010, 06:18 PM
What about a cheap wrist watch, that has a stop watch, goes beep every time you press the button. And it could function as as a double reality test looking at the number. Dunno, just a suggestion :-)

CFTraveler
14th September 2010, 06:20 PM
What about a cheap wrist watch, that has a stop watch, goes beep every time you press the button. And it could function as as a double reality test looking at the number. Dunno, just a suggestion :-) Seems simple enough.