PDA

View Full Version : It's good to think -- but not too much

Yamabushi
20th September 2010, 08:55 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11340881

I think the article's title is a little misleading, of course. It says, "Cognitive psychologist Dr Tracy Alloway from the University of Stirling, who was not involved in the latest study, said that some people have a tendency to brood too much and this leads to a risk of depression." Obviously, excessive brooding / worrying exerts un-needed stress on one's health.

Beekeeper
21st September 2010, 11:03 AM
Without having read the article (yet) I'm going to agree with the statement. I see this all the time but it's possible that a little depression now and then is potentially constructive, at least in my experience.

Okay, read it now and feel a need to add that thinking about your thinking can lead you away from depression, depending on how you think it. :wink:

john.huston45
31st May 2011, 09:27 AM
How anyone can judge without reading an article, it is necessary to read an article for taking a meaningful decision. But you did not give any.

CFTraveler
31st May 2011, 02:05 PM
How anyone can judge without reading an article, it is necessary to read an article for taking a meaningful decision. But you did not give any. John, I'm not sure who you're talking to, but please be respectful. Both Yama and Beekeeper read the article (read Beekeeper's whole post), and meaning is in the eye of the beholder.

darron
6th July 2011, 06:35 AM
what if the beholder is blind.

(no insult its just late)

ButterflyWoman
6th July 2011, 09:18 AM
The blind still behold things. They just don't do it with their eyes. :)

heliac
6th July 2011, 11:57 AM
Not so random quote of the day for mee:

Thinking is gooooooddd

"Have we taken into account the overall situation or are we considering only specifics? Is our view short-term or long-term?Are we being short-sighted or clear-eyed? Is our motive genuinely compassionate when considered in relation to the totality of all beings? Or is our compassion limited just to our families, our friends, and those we identify with closely? Just as in the practice of discovering the true nature of our thought and emotion, we need to THINK, THINK, THINK."

-His Holiness the 14th Dalailama

Beekeeper
6th July 2011, 12:19 PM
Heliac, the article wasn't about thinking being a bad thing but about the need to temper it. I think we all know that to think is necessary, to contemplate deeply is wonderful but to brood consumes a lot of energy and, by definition, leads to misery. This can lead down more constructive avenues but it isn't a given.

heliac
7th July 2011, 01:13 AM
Hey Beekeeper,

I guess sometimes brooding can be a bad thing. Although sometimes some of the best ideas come when you are hell bent on finding a solution for something and your mind is filled with a constant unrelenting idea or thought or desire. The obsessive brooding type are often quite brilliant.

People who are thirsty and desperate and are consumed with sweating it out can sure get a lot done at times. I guess it does hurt and is quite miserable but a constant rumination at least towards some end goal or at times none at all can also do wonders.

Thinking in moderation is good i guess. I like that saying, everything in moderation, even moderation. It's ok to push the envelope and get your crazy guy brooding, meditative, brainstorm on.

Beekeeper
7th July 2011, 01:28 AM
So, we are on the same page here. Yep, I've brooded with good effect but it can be tiresome not just on yourself but also on others. I have a mother who does nothing but brood. She broods on her health issues, she broods on the problems of her kids, she broods on her past. It's her primary mode of operation and it gets her nowhere.

heliac
7th July 2011, 01:42 AM
OOhhh yes! I was trying to add to a bit of affirmation to the page, sorry!

I understand what you mean about constant brooding. It's more like an intrinsic brooding, an automatic baked in response to reinforce some sort of ineffectiveness or lack of control.

Beekeeper
7th July 2011, 09:27 AM
I was trying to add to a bit of affirmation to the page

Well there's nothing wrong with that.:D

Tutor
23rd July 2011, 01:13 PM
brood
n.
1. The young of certain animals, especially a group of young birds or fowl hatched at one time and cared for by the same mother.
2. The children in one family.

v. brood·ed, brood·ing, broods
1. To sit on or hatch (eggs).
2. To protect (young) by or as if by covering with the wings.

v.intr.
1. To sit on or hatch eggs.
2. To hover envelopingly; loom.
a. To be deep in thought; meditate.
b. To focus the attention on a subject persistently and moodily; worry: brooded over the insult for several days.
c. To be depressed.

i suppose that depression hatches a new you, forces one to dwell within where they would normally deny themself access because their world without demands them to be what is normally accepted as visibly "productive" by others.

nonetheless, brooding or deep thought can make leaps within, where externally in the field of reference one may remain baffled. einstein worked with a pad paper to outwardly free associate and catch what within himself was observed, yet required him to hatch it out toward being caught/hatched into the workable world of matter/s. the practice probably served to make him very irratable, condescending and anti-social...etc. however, a hen in the henhouse is not always condusive to invasion of gathering her eggs.

though, i would imagine that einstein was more of a contemplative, conversing with the 'what is' about the 'how come'. the meditative would have delivered him to a relaxed state of mind, wherein most would begin to nod off. but he in this relaxed state met eye to eye with the visual silent running, accessed it's language, spoke with it in the trade of thought/s.

he must have been a prayerful human being, and i imagine that he later felt much anguish in seeing where the outcomes of his hatching/s were being led and leading.

i think, that the trouble with us humans that would hatch such, is that we just dont have the wings to cover and protect it. we merely have our contributable brevity, if we do indeed have that at all.

it might be safe to say, that with all the abounding mutually controversial theorys of late, no human has ever leaped beyond misunderstanding the inward accessable language, a language which is in kind as human. we are obsessed with parts, as we fear mightily the whole.

we would imagine to think that this whole is god, yet it is our human self in the understandable image of god, of course then you might see that God as Image remains incomprehensibly removed as God beyond God. it is advised that one humanly know themself, yet being as we identify this whole human nature as parts, the overwhelming incredulous outcome is terror, a terror that must be god almighty, it must be demons and angels in the battle of good vs evil, which is souly in our helpless human stead. so, illogically, we follow this belief outwardly, applying all of our devisive logic toward it's help, imagining thinking to help god as it were.

i crawl out of bed in the morning, walk into the bathroom, look into the mirror, and lord have mercy what a fright, who is this reflection staring back at me!!!?. so to please my reflection, i brush my hair, wash my face, brush my teeth...etc, and meet it half way with a, that's as good as it gets fella. was not it my reflection that reported to me such an overwhelming incredulous fright, saying to me, get your 'whole' together? i ever remain beyond the reflected image of myself standing before me, yet i receive report from it, there is a language of imagery, an image of parts to be wholey kept/kempt.

so, as the reflected image i report, i prayerfully take it to heart, delivering the unkempt whole, that the Image beyond might in our common link of visual language, hear my plea to get this whole together. therein and following i commit the most illogical of all, instead of imagining to illogically outwardly help in some grand delusional war, i simply trust in God beyond God.

this does not relieve fear and trembling, it merely places and keeps such humanous where it belongs....within my own true self/nature, wherein i am humanly aided in the staying of gathering notions de-parting toward outgoing illogicals. Psalm 118.8

all the above...imho

tim

Beekeeper
24th July 2011, 12:32 AM
einstein worked with a pad paper to outwardly free associate and catch what within himself was observed, yet required him to hatch it out toward being caught/hatched into the workable world of matter/s. the practice probably served to make him very irratable, condescending and anti-social...etc. however, a hen in the henhouse is not always condusive to invasion of gathering her eggs.

Apparently he also had an awesomely intelligent wife who was, because of the status of women in her time, denied her share of the credit for much of his brilliance. I dare say that much of what was within him was bounced off her while she was doing a substantial amount of the math he needed done. ;)

Tutor
24th July 2011, 02:49 PM
BeeKeeper,

Quite right. I wonder if he himself recognized her while lost within his brooding. no doubt, she was the light in his darkness. I hope he knew her.

psionickx
24th July 2011, 09:04 PM
have to agree with OP's title (sorry too lazy , didnt read the link) ...some of the best times i've ever had was when i've been sick , incapacitated and bed-ridden ..odds and ends builds up , working is piled up to high heaven ,calls ,bills people are all demanding attention but i'm just not giving a damn.I just cant seem to process anything at such times (nothing computes all mentation halts) - its an extremely enjoyable state
however the last time this happened i was like death warmed up .

Tutor
25th July 2011, 06:06 PM
tis true, "parting is such sweet sorrow" and "absence makes the heart grow fonder". sorrow and joy, same polarizing total of what it is. to turn this within 'it' is a must see, as without sight it is left to total misunderstanding. dually extreme kudos -1 L(0)R 1 @ the heart of.you

CFTraveler
26th July 2011, 12:28 AM
have to agree with OP's title (sorry too lazy , didnt read the link) ...some of the best times i've ever had was when i've been sick , incapacitated and bed-ridden ..odds and ends builds up , working is piled up to high heaven ,calls ,bills people are all demanding attention but i'm just not giving a damn.I just cant seem to process anything at such times (nothing computes all mentation halts) - its an extremely enjoyable state
however the last time this happened i was like death warmed up . Interestingly, I was musing along these same lines just today. Too bad we can't bottle that feeling, without the sick part.

eyeoneblack
26th July 2011, 06:44 PM
Apparently he also had an awesomely intelligent wife who was, because of the status of women in her time, denied her share of the credit for much of his brilliance. I dare say that much of what was within him was bounced off her while she was doing a substantial amount of the math he needed done.

What?!
http://www.pbs.org/opb/einsteinswife/milevastory/index.htm
I have read much recently regarding Einstein and never was his wife mentioned, however, he needed and sought help with the math from a friend, Grossman.

Don't mean to be contrary, but accuracy is important. There have been men whose wives were instramental in their accomplishments but I don't think Einstein and his spouse qualify.

But, never mind. What happens here stays here. :wacky1:

CFTraveler
26th July 2011, 08:06 PM
I've heard about Einstein's wife also, not with so much detail, and also about the daughter he abandoned after the divorce or separation (I can't remember, it's been a while). There was even a documentary about it sometime ago in the Science channel.

Beekeeper
27th July 2011, 08:36 AM
Hey Eyeoneblack, way to condescend!

I was referencing a documentary I watched some years ago but could not find online. A quick search verifies that Maleva Maric did study physics and mathematics and did exceptionally well until she became pregnant. I remember the documentary insisting that she did a lot of the computation for Einstein, however, I see that this is contentious because there seems to be little support for it.

Rather, it is much more likely that Mileva's contributions were those of an assistant and a sounding board—a common role among both women scientists and wives of scientists, and one that rendered even the most talented and productive among them virtually invisible. In Mileva's case, it is likely that she discussed Einstein's ideas, proofread his papers and, possibly, helped with some of the mathematical proofs.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/einsteinswife/science/mquest.htm
(http://www.pbs.org/opb/einsteinswife/science/mquest.htm)
That doesn't make me stupid, btw, it means I took something as fact because it was presented that way.

Don't mean to be contrary, but accuracy is important. There have been men whose wives were instramental in their accomplishments but I don't think Einstein and his spouse qualify.

I tend to think that keeping someone fed, clothed, healthy and sane is a contribution, but of course, that wasn't my original statement.

eyeoneblack
27th July 2011, 05:24 PM
I'll get back to you, Beek, with something of an apology. It's not Einstein, but a deeper issue that bothers me - very delicate I fear :lol:
I'll need to choose my words carefully (not easy for me), but friends we are and will remain.

Richard

Beekeeper
27th July 2011, 09:32 PM
Never mind. That post put us back where it's nice to be.:D Besides which, if you look at my dream journal, you'll see an Eris archetype has been playing with me so I'm conscious now of not stirring up gender issues! I teach boys and I'm a mother of boys and I love 'em all.

eyeoneblack
28th July 2011, 01:26 AM
Thank you Beeky, didn't want to go there. :whew: