PDA

View Full Version : Fear and the Law of Attraction (LOA)

Korpo
22nd December 2010, 08:02 PM
There's a statement, kind of like an extension to the LOA, many may know about: Fear attracts the object of fear. From my point of view this statement is not really well understood, so I thought I'd write what comes to me when touching upon this idea.

It's a statement that can cause confusion or worry. Am I somehow not supposed to fear? Is that even possible? A feeling can arise that breeds some kind of distrust into a universe that follows such rules, or a wariness of one's own thoughts. I'd personally say, reactions that are not truly helpful to the individual or help one's growth.

One idea I tend to think of as misconception is that the Universe somehow is a stupid machine. So, I'm afraid of something, I get it delivered to my doorstep sooner or later. In an unintelligent universe, perhaps, but in my experience the reality that surrounds us reacts in subtle ways that at times simply baffle me in hindsight. So, "Fear attracts the object of fear." is a deceptively simple statement that hardly does the reality behind it justice, but there's probably no better and certainly not a more concise way to put it.

I think an example will help:

Let's say you're afraid of mountain lions. This will not deliver mountain lions to your doorstep. But it might bring events into your life you have to deal with, depending on how much your fear of mountain lions distorts the way you conduct your life.

Let's say you become for one reason or another obsessed with this fear. You avoid the outdoors, because there's a hypothetical risk of mountain lions. As a result, your health might deteriorate. You miss out on all kinds of healthy or relaxing outdoors activities that might counterbalance your sedentiary lifestyle with the ever-same impressions around you. Your consciousness narrows, your health is impacted.

Subtle warnings may arise, probably benign. Friends might want to tempt you out of your "hermit life style." Your doctor recommends hiking against your back problems. You meet a desirable partner who regularly goes out to hike. Construction workers damage the TV cable in your street, depriving you of your primary form of entertainment, while outside you have wonderful weather, sunshine, butterflies.

Mind you, still no mountain lions just because you're afraid of mountain lions. ;)

So, okay, it gets worse. You start to develop ever more odd habits. Now you hardly ever leave your apartment. Probably because you now are also afraid you have a feeble back - that's what the doctor said, right? And that partner rejected you, they never called you back when you hoped, it was a huge disappointment, rather stay home today, don't feel like anything. You develop fears, you stay home from work, feel uncomfortable in open spaces.

Now the events entering your life become more potentially harmful. Your bad performance at your job, the missed appointments, your odd behaviour get you in trouble with your boss, there's the real risk of getting fired, your boss told you. You have a horrible night because you didn't go out to get that medication you need and then had a panic attack at 3am that this might cause great harm and there was no way to get it now. And so on.

You still haven't attracted a single mountain lion, but you certainly attracted a lot of "bad stuff." In fact, now you might have something real to be afraid of - losing your job is for real. A lot more real than any potential mountain lion just lurking round the corner. So, why did these things get attracted to you in the first place?

All of these were signs that encourage a change in behaviour. The more you resist the more alarming signs might appear. But every sign carries a potential for change for the better.

If you take the doctor's advice, you might have nice walks in the nature, and suddenly after a week you wouldn't want to miss them for anything. And there you meet that desirable partner again that didn't call back, and you have a nice chat and end up married with children - if that's your cup of tea. ;)

Or you realise that losing your job is a very real danger to your existence, and you take the warning, and you face your fear because so much is at stake. You might seek therapy. You confront things that you didn't confront. You turn your life around and make a change. Everything might not instantly change to nice again - the consequences of your actions have to be dealt with. But things are improving again in the long run.

From my point of view such a chain of events does not simply happen because you're afraid of mountain lions. It happens because the fear begins to take over your life and prevents you from living a life you enjoy and that is true to your purpose. When you stopped going outdoors, you started to neglect part of your wellbeing. That's when the signals for change started to happen. When you stopped taking proper care of matters like your job, you're threatening your own capability to maintain yourself properly.

What if the universe just let you be? No consequences, no signs, no warnings and signals? What if you ended up living alone, getting your groceries delivered, and even ironically living amidst 30 cats in your apartment, finally getting kicked out because the landlord just had enough, what good would it serve you? Or if just lived alone, avoiding outside contact because of your mounting phobias - would you enjoy such an existence? Would that really be your choice if you consciously chose it?

So, all the seemingly harmful events in this example serve a purpose. Each of them warns you of your own harmful behaviour (harmful to yourself), harmful beliefs and gives you consequences to match. Not always in obvious ways.

And in the end sometimes to match your original problem - because the fear of mountain lions is the fear of death, survival fear. For many people losing their job also triggers severe survival fear. So, in the end, in this example, the fear for your own physical survival attracted a potential threat to your physical survival - but not blindly. There was a chain of events and a chain of reactions to match that created this reality. Fear created the reality that was feared to begin with.

So, if you're afraid of mountain lions but if it doesn't prevent you from living a full life rich with purpose, fear doesn't necessarily attract the object of fear. Of course, there's the small matter of spiritual evolution...

So, you have been doing fine all these years. Mountain lions didn't prevent you from finding that partner, have kids, you have chosen a spiritual journey for yourself. You meditate now.

Then something odd happens. Your kids' favorite pasttime is now visiting the zoo, and of all animals they could see mountain lions are their favorite. You have nightmares featuring mountain lions. Why do these uncomfortable situations arise for you? What's the point? Has the LOA kicked in and attracted all these mountain lions after all?

In a sense, yes. The more you advance along your own spiritual evolution, even minor distortions of your behaviour become "harmful." Some may have noticed it for themselves, actually. I was pointed to it and have observed it in my life. When you chose this path of development, events can come your way that challenge you. Depending on how you experience it it might be similar to being constantly challenged, or be stripped of certain things in your life, it might be uncomfortable.

The more you refine your consciousness the less you can have things like fear. The rule of thumb becomes true - you are confronted more pressingly with issues you need to release. This does hardly seem to be an improvement. But it is part of the process of cleansing your consciousness. You simply cannot have a calm mind if phobias upset it too often. You simply cannot seek purpose and expansion everywhere if you deny yourself many courses of action out of fear. Fear arranges your mind in undesirable ways, and the desire to develop spiritually puts you at odds with the contents of your mind. Your mind on fear is not the mind of clarity. On your journey to enlightenment you have to lighten that burden.

Ultimately, many, many fears root in the fear of death and being afraid you might not exist at some point. Ironically, this fear prevents you from experiencing the immortality of consciousness. The fear is obscuration, preventing you from experiencing liberation, a joyful, calm mind and bliss. What once was but a grain of sand regarding to the state of your overall consciousness becomes a pebble and then a rock, and sooner or later it has to go. And as the rock is gone you peek behind a point even finer than a grain of sand and glimpse consciousness. Ever more.

Because when you tried to calm your mind in meditation all those thoughts came up. And they came up for a reason. These were the coarse contents of your mind. And when you can release them, you might find the fine contents of your mind. And while you try to release those, you might find surprising things. Instead of constantly being distracted by all those things within the mind, you might see the mind itself. Consciousness without content. The watcher. The background for what happens.

So, here the LOA is at work, too. The desire to achieve spiritual growth fuels a process that helps you achieve that goal. Challenges arise designed to clear out obscurations. Fear will attract the object of fear. Until your consciousness can finally overcome the obscuration of fear, step by step. The fruit born of the intention.

CFTraveler
22nd December 2010, 08:26 PM
That is a wonderful and insightful article, Oliver. I just wanted to mention that before it became popular as the "Law of Attraction", it was called the "Law of Mind Action". I never liked the popular name, but it's the name that stuck.
Cheers.

farewell2arms
22nd December 2010, 08:54 PM
You have outdone yourself, Oliver. I hope I can one day be of such help to you, as you have helped me now.

Thank you.

John

Korpo
22nd December 2010, 11:53 PM
:D

heliac
23rd December 2010, 02:49 AM
Really great article Oliver

selfknowing
23rd December 2010, 03:26 AM
Yes, really insightful and packed full of observations and info. I'll have to read it many times. :D

astral_1976
24th February 2011, 05:17 AM
This is really good reading...I enjoyed it a lot...and need to do some thinking over this....

lightgal
24th February 2011, 05:51 PM
Fear of pain and/or loss is probably my biggest fears I have to overcome, oh and of course the old stand by - fear of fear itself. I use a symbol that I work with in trance. Using this I am calling forth a higher spiritual power, much greater than my silly thinking mind, to pull my consciousnes up and over this fearful level. I am calling forth divine courage. It is amazing what one can overcome when they side with the higher aspect of oneself. Don't get me wrong, I am still a chicken about alot of things, but I have grown alot and will continue to grow.

jayred78
2nd April 2011, 05:08 AM
i find that the LOA version of manifesting, is faulty and has quite a few gaps, another important gap is intent, i remember watching the dvd and it said that if i what something and always think about it il EVENTUALLY get it, but who wants to EVENTUALLY get something, when ever we want something we create resistance, but when ever we intend we effortlessly create, no resistance, no waiting, just creating

a good example(try it) get a pot of water and put it on a stove just turn on the flame to its highest temperature(be safe) and just look at it and just think of proving me wrong and making that water boil by wanting it alone, but when you leave the room or just look away it will effortlessly boil

ButterflyWoman
2nd April 2011, 09:10 AM
i remember watching the dvd
Are you referring to "The Secret"? There's a lot more on the topic of conscious manifesting of reality (as opposed to unconscious manifesting, which we do all the time, anyway). "The Secret" is shallow and overproduced, and it's certainly not the best source of information. Rather far from it. And it is also not the originator of the phrase "Law of Attraction".

a good example(try it) get a pot of water and put it on a stove just turn on the flame to its highest temperature(be safe) and just look at it and just think of proving me wrong and making that water boil by wanting it alone, but when you leave the room or just look away it will effortlessly boil
This is just a demonstration of the old adage that "a watched pot never boils". And, for what it's worth, it's not true. It WILL boil if you're standing there. It just seems to take longer due to the fact that time is relative.

psionickx
24th May 2011, 08:24 PM
i was searching this forum for some particular info...came across this ...

I just wanted to mention that before it became popular as the "Law of Attraction", it was called the "Law of Mind Action"

Very insightful if youre reading with specs on.

There now... caught in amber. :)

imogen
18th December 2011, 10:49 PM
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I resemble your remarks, I am afraid to say.

John Sorensen
8th March 2014, 04:18 AM
Are you referring to "The Secret"? There's a lot more on the topic of conscious manifesting of reality (as opposed to unconscious manifesting, which we do all the time, anyway). "The Secret" is shallow and overproduced, and it's certainly not the best source of information. Rather far from it. And it is also not the originator of the phrase "Law of Attraction".

This is just a demonstration of the old adage that "a watched pot never boils". And, for what it's worth, it's not true. It WILL boil if you're standing there. It just seems to take longer due to the fact that time is relative.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the "Law of Attraction" name / brand.

I remember a few years back I started noticing the phrase all over the internet, and of course many books, I knew nothing about The Secret at the time (which I own on audio and printedbook, and really can't stand, the information is fine, just the presentation, UGH! Really turns me off).

I used to dismiss the phrase, thinking website/ books were writing about romantic relationships or something like that, so I had zero interest in it.

Then one day I read a specific article, I forget where, and I was like "ohhhhhhh" they are talking about Intention or the Quantum Field.

The phrases I knew was from Jane Robert's Seth Material: (first published in the 1970s)

*"You get what you focus upon"
*"You create your reality whether you believe it or not"
*"Focused intention becomes reality" etc

Also Wayne Dyer's lovely book "The Power of Intention" which followed on from
Neville Goddards "The Power of Awareness".
-Dyer and his contemporary Deepak Chopra use the words "Manifesting" and "Intention" and "Awareness"
-which built upon Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" - which unfortunately had the central idea of the book deleted (Burning desire), despite numerous references to The Secret in the introduction...

The Secret that was edited out of Think and Grow Rich is powerful. The original publishers must have been worried that the mass market would not buy a book that talked about things like vibration (http://www.routes-to-self-improvement.com/LawofAttraction.htm) and the power of thought. They edited out more than 100 pages of the original manuscript. The Secret is very difficult to discern if your copy of Think and Grow Rich is around 270 pages; you have the edited version. My version has 387 pages. It was published in 1962 by Combined Registry Co in Chicago.

The Law of Attraction, was edited out of Think and Grow Rich for decades, although you can pick up his BEST book of his complete teachings,
*Law of Success: The Master Wealth Builder's Complete and Orginal Lesson Plan for Achieving Your Dreams - great book, I refer to it all the time.

Well, anyhow, when I read some more of this stuff, I noticed that the source of "The Secret" was actually Abraham, the channelled books/lectures from Jerry and Esther Hicks, and interestingly, their newer books have a sort of re-branding with "Law of Attraction" with big letters on their covers, because obviously the phrase took off and became a real marketing buzz word.

From the site where I pinched that quote above, they mention that the movie version of The Secret (the Rhonda Byrne thingo) has the actual Secret edited out of it, just like Think and Grow Rich

Publishers were afraid that the secret would not be accepted by the public

Then I noticed a trend of "Why the Law of Attraction isn't working" and what YOU can do about it, type books, which I did not understand, because I'm like "how does YOUR OWN MIND, not work, wtf?"

I mean what are people doing, if I want a sandwich I think about it, then I get off my ass and go get a sandwich, I don't sit around going "oh will this work, oh I don't know, I need to do some affirmations and salute the sun and put out my christmas stockings.

I guess I'd say that Law of Attraction is a segment of a totality. I also notice people seem to want to use it to win lotto and buy fancy cars and house, rather than focus on consciously understanding as much as possible of the universe/reality/All That Is in THIS lifetime, or be of service to their fellow man (in the religious sense, not the commercial sense).

Kind of ironic using metaphysics to promote more slavish materialism, and learning nothing about the purpose of conscious existence or spiritual evolution.:clap:

CFTraveler
8th March 2014, 06:24 PM
Well, anyhow, when I read some more of this stuff, I noticed that the source of "The Secret" was actually Abraham, the channelled books/lectures from Jerry and Esther Hicks, and interestingly, their newer books have a so al marketing buzz word. Actually this is quite incorrect. Everything the Hicks come up with is channeled from Abraham- but the organization that started the mass marketing of the movement is not the one who started it- the people that first published it were part of an organization (church) that I am part of, so I have some 'inside knowledge' about this- is an organization founded in the late 1800's who had these beliefs and methods of manifestation already pretty established by the beginnings of the 20th century, who got together and created the original works in which The Secret was compiled. How it went from a free release to something that was sold is another story.
Read something by Thomas Troward or Myrtle Fillmore, for example- these were the people that formed the groups (new thought movements) that originated this type of thinking (and movement) - the Hicks et al just took the religion part out of it and made it into what it is now.

buttercup
4th March 2016, 07:08 AM
Interesting post. I actually have anxiety issues so am in my house a lot,and so this post seemed especially relevant for me. I actually do believe in a pronoiac universe,too..i've seen too many things that prove to me that deep down inside,everything is conspiring FOR us,and anything else that seems otherwise is a delusion.

buttercup
4th March 2016, 07:39 AM

I like What the bleep do we know better,actually.

buttercup
4th March 2016, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I'm not too fond of the "Law of Attraction" name / brand.

I remember a few years back I started noticing the phrase all over the internet, and of course many books, I knew nothing about The Secret at the time (which I own on audio and printedbook, and really can't stand, the information is fine, just the presentation, UGH! Really turns me off).

I used to dismiss the phrase, thinking website/ books were writing about romantic relationships or something like that, so I had zero interest in it.

Then one day I read a specific article, I forget where, and I was like "ohhhhhhh" they are talking about Intention or the Quantum Field.

The phrases I knew was from Jane Robert's Seth Material: (first published in the 1970s)

*"You get what you focus upon"
*"You create your reality whether you believe it or not"
*"Focused intention becomes reality" etc

Also Wayne Dyer's lovely book "The Power of Intention" which followed on from
Neville Goddards "The Power of Awareness".
-Dyer and his contemporary Deepak Chopra use the words "Manifesting" and "Intention" and "Awareness"
-which built upon Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" - which unfortunately had the central idea of the book deleted (Burning desire), despite numerous references to The Secret in the introduction...

The Law of Attraction, was edited out of Think and Grow Rich for decades, although you can pick up his BEST book of his complete teachings,
*Law of Success: The Master Wealth Builder's Complete and Orginal Lesson Plan for Achieving Your Dreams - great book, I refer to it all the time.

Well, anyhow, when I read some more of this stuff, I noticed that the source of "The Secret" was actually Abraham, the channelled books/lectures from Jerry and Esther Hicks, and interestingly, their newer books have a sort of re-branding with "Law of Attraction" with big letters on their covers, because obviously the phrase took off and became a real marketing buzz word.

From the site where I pinched that quote above, they mention that the movie version of The Secret (the Rhonda Byrne thingo) has the actual Secret edited out of it, just like Think and Grow Rich

Then I noticed a trend of "Why the Law of Attraction isn't working" and what YOU can do about it, type books, which I did not understand, because I'm like "how does YOUR OWN MIND, not work, wtf?"

I mean what are people doing, if I want a sandwich I think about it, then I get off my ass and go get a sandwich, I don't sit around going "oh will this work, oh I don't know, I need to do some affirmations and salute the sun and put out my christmas stockings.

I guess I'd say that Law of Attraction is a segment of a totality. I also notice people seem to want to use it to win lotto and buy fancy cars and house, rather than focus on consciously understanding as much as possible of the universe/reality/All That Is in THIS lifetime, or be of service to their fellow man (in the religious sense, not the commercial sense).

Kind of ironic using metaphysics to promote more slavish materialism, and learning nothing about the purpose of conscious existence or spiritual evolution.:clap:

I had heard recently it was originally called the law of assumption and ever since I heard that,I feel that is way more easier to grasp then the law of attraction. Law of attraction does sound like it'd be about relationships. Lol. So,Abraham are the original people behind that term? Interesting,because I just recently came to the conclusion they are one of many loa gurus I find that actually just complicates the loa and makes it way more difficult to manifest.

CFTraveler
4th March 2016, 03:02 PM
No, the idea is very old. It's what Jesus was talking about when he talked about the mustard seed, and there is a book called "The Isaiah Effect" that describes how it's treated in the OT. It's the basis of magic, when it comes down to it. But then again, I don't know how old Abraham, if there is such a being, is. Or are.

ButterflyWoman
8th March 2016, 07:44 AM
From the book of Job: "That which I feared the most has come upon me."

I have a particularly intimate relationship with the book of Job for a lot of reasons, but that line has always, always been with me, since long before I had any conscious understanding of how our beliefs (and fear is a reaction to your beliefs, generally speaking) shape our reality.

I might look for "The Isaiah Effect". Sounds interesting.

Timothy
8th March 2016, 03:39 PM
Ab or Av

Ram

Abram

~

Ab ra ham ... Avraham...

Avram vs Avraham

Is it 'ah' ... is it 'ha'...does it matter

~

Maharva

Mah...ar...vAAv...ra...haM

~

Minus consonants..

A...A...A...AAA...In the Valleys I dWell

Minus vowEls

VRHM....MHRV

VROOMOORV

There were no ROOMOOR in the Inn...Mangered In

Zen and the motorcycle mechanic...when you tear an engine down just to put it back together, so many times that the shared language silently carries Her.

V Twin, Now get your V in That...3 LiftHers...Carbolic...The Heart of the Matter...Clean Running (ReSounding)...You

HD VTWIN... VROOMOORV http://youtu.be/YriFxX9Buoc

Takes One To Start One...

.V...V.
...V...

Take A Load Off Annie...
Http://youtu.be/0GiKAa7tbiY

KISS...Keep it simple silly...Alls Ya Gotta Do IS Don't forget to (Re-Member To) Include You.

Listen...To The Music...
Http://youtu.be/wLf--6RJbbc

...!!!aHa!!!...

Annie's ReGuards to Each in Every of One,

...|V|~>M
...M.&.M..'s...melt in the Mouth and not in the Hand

You & Your Day At Hand...
Http://youtu.be/x9AMUlVat4c
Death Warmed Up...FreeQuencY

Alive & Kicking...Simple Minds
Http://youtu.be/ljIQo1OHkTI
You Turn Me On...You Lift Me Up...To The Sweetest Cup I Share With You...

You Turn Me On...Kick "IT"..."The Habit"..."Shame & Guilt"

I am a FreeQ FreeQuently FreeQing with FreeQuishness.

Ride To Live...Live To Ride

Unchained Melody...
Http://youtu.be/RXARHZmpgvw

I wish I could find my "Darling" poem in this forum...ain't found Her yet...it's in Mysticism...What is a Mystic thread or sumptin?

VVV - LOVE

buttercup
15th March 2016, 02:01 PM
From the book of Job: "That which I feared the most has come upon me."

I have a particularly intimate relationship with the book of Job for a lot of reasons, but that line has always, always been with me, since long before I had any conscious understanding of how our beliefs (and fear is a reaction to your beliefs, generally speaking) shape our reality.

I might look for "The Isaiah Effect". Sounds interesting.

Sounds interesting. How can we stop fearing though when it's really intense?

CFTraveler
15th March 2016, 02:32 PM
That's the 65,000 dollar question.
I meditate using affirmations, and it somewhat helps.

Timothy
15th March 2016, 06:34 PM
Sounds interesting. How can we stop fearing though when it's really intense?

Would we stop exiting the potentially burning building while everything that is present to tell us is telling us to very orderly exit the building. Is it real..is it yet another drill to gather us in...farther from chaos and closer to orderly.