PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting back into it again...

adAstra
6th January 2011, 10:48 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the site, but have been practicing OBEs for quite some years now. Some background on myself:

I first learned about OBEs sometime in 2005. I began reading EVERYTHING I possibly could on the subject and related topics. It took me a solid 2 years until I finally had my first experience. For a while I would have OBEs without any attempt at all. They would just happen (about 1-2 times a month). I was on a dry-spell the last year or so, mostly due to life just getting in the way. Recently I got back into it and have been making major progress. But now I am seeking help from more experienced practitioners.

My experience:

To date I've had roughly 40~50 experiences. I keep a journal of every experience; I'll probably start posting them here soon enough. Currently, I am almost to the point where I can induce an OBE if I so desire. I'm still working out kinks, and unfortunately no method is "fail-proof", but I have come a long ways. I have spent countless hours learning what works and what doesn't. I've tried it all and have much to share. If you have any questions, please ask!

What I'm working on at the moment:

Currently I am trying to learn bigger and better ways of "getting around" while OOB (e.g. Traveling instantaneously by thought). Also, I have always had trouble communicating with my "higher self"/guides. So I'm trying to establish communication as well. Any help, thoughts, methods, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-M

demsy11
7th January 2011, 10:26 AM
what is the astral world looks like?
thanks

adAstra
7th January 2011, 11:57 PM
what is the astral world looks like?

Hi demsy,

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to answer that. What the "astral" looks like depends on many factors including, but not limited to, (a) Your level of awareness during the experience, (b) "where" (for lack of better words) you are during your experience, (c) your personal beliefs/limits of your consciousness... etc., etc.

Personally, my background is in science and so I approach everything here with a "scientific" type mindset. I avoid using terms such as "astral" and the like since it implicitly suggests a religious basis. There are many different viewpoints on OBEs, and since I do not yet know which are true and which are false, I try to discuss the matters in a non-bias viewpoint. Regardless, it seems to be a commonality among these different views that there are different "levels" of consciousness. If you can achieve "higher" levels of consciousness, then you can access "deeper" levels of what you may call the "astral". I don't have much experience with reaching different "levels", so I cannot be completely sure where I have and have not been. Based on what I have read, many people describe that these different "levels" or "planes" of consciousness have distinct and separate "feels" from one another. So I would imagine that different places in the "astral" would look different depending on where you are.

From my own experience, I can say that at times these experiences feel very "dream-like"; other times they feel "hyper-real", being more vivid than what we normally experience when we're awake in the physical. You can be in places that look identical to your bedroom, house, neighborhood; but you can also visit places that exist nowhere in our waking reality. Occasionally, your experiences are completely indescribable with words alone.

The problem is that our consciousness is experiencing something beyond our typical 3-dimensional reality. When we return to our physical bodies, our brain cannot always interpret what we experienced, and so parts of the experience get blocked out. For instance, try imagining a 4-dimensional box. No matter how hard you try, your brain cannot perceive what this would look like. We can attempt to describe it with words, but your brain will never allow you to "see" it. However, our consciousness is not limited by our 3-D spacial rules, so during an OBE, we my very well experience a 4-D box. But when we return to our waking reality, we are unable to recall what it looks like, even though we remember experiencing it. (I'm starting to ramble here, but hopefully you get my point?)

So to summarize: Good question, but it's awfully difficult to answer!

Good luck!

CFTraveler
8th January 2011, 12:13 AM
Ad Astra, for labeling purposes, we grade the experience as psychological distance from everyday 'waking' consciousness. So the 'etheric', RTZ or 'energetic continuum' would be as close to the physical perception as it gets (psychologically closest as in the forms are recognizable, there is space and change, and perception can include tactile information.
Astral is considered a bit more psychologically distant that the etheric environment, with images that are sometimes (as you said) hyperreal, but with a heavy helping of subconscious symbolic information, fantasy images, and stuff that can be considered part of the collective unconscious. Time and space may still be considered part of the experience but very differently than the physical - time may seem to stop or to go very fast, and space can be experienced (as some things will be perceived objectively, and sometimes the space between objects can be felt physically, like traversing jelly, for example) but often bypassed when traveling.
After varying degrees of distance in various astral 'levels' or degrees of separation, you get to the mental, where everything is conceptual, and you can experience things like colors that don't exist (in the physical) and are subject to really weird stuff. Really weird. :D .
So even though the concept of levels and such come originally from a religious system (Hindu and then theosophy), the descriptives are very rich and easy to decipher, at least in my experience.

demsy11
8th January 2011, 12:43 AM
So how do you level up?
by knowing more technics or because you are frequently doing an OBE so you level up?

CFTraveler
8th January 2011, 05:55 AM
Simple experience and a spirit of exploration, I think.

demsy11
8th January 2011, 06:03 AM
i like this site, its very friendly website.Easy to discuss and always someone to give you an answer. For Ad astra, i find it a bit strange for a scientist to do things like this, normaly science = big bang and no god our soul.
well you are the change :D :D :D :D :D

adAstra
8th January 2011, 06:39 AM
i like this site, its very friendly website.Easy to discuss and always someone to give you an answer. For Ad astra, i find it a bit strange for a scientist to do things like this, normaly science = big bang and no god our soul.
well you are the change :D :D :D :D :D

Heh, physics grad student by day, OBE-er by night :wink:. What can I say...I'm a living oxymoron.

demsy11
8th January 2011, 08:03 AM
LOL good on you

greytraveller
8th January 2011, 08:48 PM
Hallo adAstra and welcome. :)
If you want to post some of your OBEs I suggest you ask a moderator for a journal. Many people, including me, have their own journal in the "OBE Forum".

Regards 8)
Grey

Beekeeper
9th January 2011, 12:42 AM
Welcome adastra :D

CFTraveler
9th January 2011, 09:55 PM
Demsy, I split your questions from this topic and put them in the OBE forum, here.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22953&p=142133#p142133 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22953&p=142133#p142133)